Bands at the Gaumont, Barkers Pool

The Plaza at Handsworth also had bands on a Sunday night.

Remember seeing Freddie and the Dreamers, Screaming Lord Sutch and Dave Berry.

Who was that guy who sang "Wimoweh" he was there too. :huh:

Tuppie

The 'Wimoweh' singer was called Karl Denver. The song also recorded as "The Lion Sleeps tonight"

The Everlys never appeared at the Gaumont, though the Rolling Stones did two shows on 22nd October 1963. Happy days!!

Saw the topic about bands at the City Hall. Does anyone remember going to the Gaumont cinema and seeing any acts? Maybe senility is setting in and I'm imagining it but I recall that an auntie of mine (Barbara) worked there and got me tickets to see the Rolling Stones and Jimi Hendrix. Am I dreaming?

You are not dreaming about the Rolling Stones appearing at The Gaumont in Barkers Pool. I had just passed my driving test, so it would have been 1964.

I decided to park in Pinstone Street outside what was Stewart and Stewart. A policeman told me to park elsewhere as the Stones were at The Gaumont and they weren't taking any risks. Not a yellow line in sight.

The 'Wimoweh' singer was called Karl Denver. The song also recorded as "The Lion Sleeps tonight"

The Everlys never appeared at the Gaumont, though the Rolling Stones did two shows on 22nd October 1963. Happy days!!

I saw the Everly Brothers at The City Hall.

Can't for the life of me remember her surname. Not even sure if she was a 'real' auntie or just a good mate of me mums. I think she was the manageress.:confused:

When you get PMs contact me and I'll give you the name. Not fair to make it public without permission.

im prolly too young..................LOL

late 70s / early 80s i prolly wentt o see films at the gaumont

no bands tho

Also saw The Everly Brothers Show, who were the top of the bill. When they came on the whole Gaumont cinema crowd errupted with "We want the Stones", the Everly Brothers tried to play but where drowned out, in the end they had to bring the Stones on stage to back them with their numbers.

Great show, long live The Stones.

I don't know where this story came from ..but it's pure fiction...The show was produced by "Don Ardon" and it was called " The Everly Brothers Bo Diddley Show" it came to the Gaumont on Tuesday the 22nd of October 1963 ...The program was compared by "RAY CAMERON" and was as follows..

"The Flintstones", "Micky Most", "The Rolling Stones", "Ray Cameron" "Little Richard", (interval) "The Rattles", "Ray Cameron", "Julie Grant", "Bo Diddley","The Everly Brothers" ...It was a great show as I remember The Everly's were outstanding that night (They were backed by the Crickets)..They played a whole load of their hit's and ended the the show with "Cathy's Clown" to a standing ovation and then came back on stage and did it again for an oncore(it was in the charts for 18 weeks & 7 weeks at #1)...The Rolling Stones were a little known group in 1963 with only one record just in the charts it was a Chuck Berry song called "come on" (It only got to #23) .....On the night they only performed two numbers the first was Chuck Berry's "Talking About You" and followed by their first release ... I thought they were too loud and they didn't go down to well..19 year old Mick Jagger wore a black and white dogtooth jacket and winkle pickers and he looked like a "Mod".....In those days The stones got more attention by bad press than good music.

I got this info from the program and my Diary at the time..I was in the rear circle seat P16..Still got the ticket and program, cost me 8/6

I used to go to the Teenage Club on Saturday mornings at the Gaumont in around 1960-61. There would be a film followed by some local group(s) playing. I remember Dave Berry, (?) Ray Stewart and I was very proud one time as my brother appeared with one of the groups (can't remember the name of the group), playing the guitar. I seem to remember a Stringfellow brother organising it but could be wrong.

I remember seeing quite a few acts at the Gaumont, the most memorable being Bob Dylan. I went with my then by friend and we walked out, along with many others, at the start of the second half when Bob Dylan came on with his electric guitar and band. Not the performance we bought tickets for.

I don't know where this story came from ..but it's pure fiction...The show was produced by "Don Ardon"

NOT COMPLETE FICTION!!!

6 (that's six) of us from the old Sheffield College Of Art were almost ejected for chanting "WE WANT BO" during The Everly's set ... The Stones WEREN'T too loud at all ... it wasn't The Crickets ... it's Arden ... it's wasn't an "oncore".

"I got this info from the program and my Diary at the time" ... must be true

Edited by sselavy
no quotes

Also saw The Everly Brothers Show, who were the top of the bill. When they came on the whole Gaumont cinema crowd errupted with "We want the Stones", the Everly Brothers tried to play but where drowned out, in the end they had to bring the Stones on stage to back them with their numbers.

Rubbish! I was there that night and poster Timbuck has given the correct description of the evening.

NOT COMPLETE FICTION!!!

Yes it was.

I don't know where this story came from ..but it's pure fiction...The show was produced by "Don Ardon" and it was called " The Everly Brothers Bo Diddley Show" it came to the Gaumont on Tuesday the 22nd of October 1963 ...The program was compared by "RAY CAMERON" and was as follows..

"The Flintstones", "Micky Most", "The Rolling Stones", "Ray Cameron" "Little Richard", (interval) "The Rattles", "Ray Cameron", "Julie Grant", "Bo Diddley","The Everly Brothers" ...It was a great show as I remember The Everly's were outstanding that night (They were backed by the Crickets)..They played a whole load of their hit's and ended the the show with "Cathy's Clown" to a standing ovation and then came back on stage and did it again for an oncore(it was in the charts for 18 weeks & 7 weeks at #1)...The Rolling Stones were a little known group in 1963 with only one record just in the charts it was a Chuck Berry song called "come on" (It only got to #23) .....On the night they only performed two numbers the first was Chuck Berry's "Talking About You" and followed by their first release ... I thought they were too loud and they didn't go down to well..19 year old Mick Jagger wore a black and white dogtooth jacket and winkle pickers and he looked like a "Mod".....In those days The stones got more attention by bad press than good music.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is exactly how I remember the concert that evening.

I remember seeing quite a few acts at the Gaumont, the most memorable being Bob Dylan. I went with my then by friend and we walked out, along with many others, at the start of the second half when Bob Dylan came on with his electric guitar and band. Not the performance we bought tickets for.

You are probably in the movie, No Direction Home...LOL:D