Does any company pay a decent wage except minimum wage for support workers?

My wife works for the NHS as a support worker her hourly pay is about £11.00 pr hour but her qualifications is a bit more than nvq2, i think this day and age you get what is deemed your worth and nvq2 is just standard, you want more money its more qualifications in the NHS, but i think a care worker with nvq2 thats as far as you go, its never been a well paid job,but it was a not bad job though when the council ran all these jobs but now in the private sector i think they all pay about the same.

Private sector will always pay as little as they can get away with, NHS will always pay more as it is so badly run

Is it badly run because it pay's a wage to ground level support workers and staff nurses that enables them to put food on the table?

Or is it badly run because it pay's significant amounts to managers who are not involved in patient care? and yet perversely are in charge of the system!

And yes, support work is 100% commitment, 100% graft and approx 30% financial reward. It's a vocation!

And I take my hat off and congratulate all conscientious, dedicated and hard working support workers out there..........you truly are wonderful!

Private sector will always pay as little as they can get away with, NHS will always pay more as it is so badly run

You would be surprised at how many opportunities there are in the care-sector.

It does have a high turnover of staff,and as someone has said it's a vocation.

Start on the bottom rung,and you can work your way up pretty quickly if you knuckle down,and do some study.

I started off doing svq3 health and social care.Then svq4 management.

I'm looking into doing a degree online,and hopefully get some of it paid for.

I also moved through the different services ie: Autism,homeless young adults and people suffering severe depression.

My ultimate aim is to become a care inspector.

It's a booming industry, with as i said numerous opportunities.

I work as a support worker, profound learning disabilities and challenging behaviour for the NHS it is a really good wage.I have had on going training for 3 years completed my diploma and have loads of qualifications .We have to be available to work christmas day etc as we are open 24 hrs 365 days a year be very flexible coming in at short notice covering shifts and work long hours.Support worker jobs vary as to what pay scale you get.:) Walking miles in the snow when everything comes to a standstill for a 10 day shift pattern is dedication enough lol

Edited by waddy

Why is "minimum wage" not a decent wage?

What???

Before I turned 25 (so I didn't get tax credits)

I worked full time on minimum wage

paid my bills

my rent

my council tax

put £25 a week in the bank, to save for holidays or emergencies

and had about £25 per week spending money, that includes food

I was walking distance from work, if I had needed to catch the bus, that would have left me with less than a tenner spending money, including food money, per week - I wouldn't have had any savings.

so tell me, what is wrong with minimum wage?

Support worker jobs advertised today at Sheffield Teaching Hospital Trust

Band 2 £14153 rising to £17253

Here's the link which you may need to copy and paste but job may only be up for 24 hours as they get inundated

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/advsearch?rownum=11&sort_order=R&display_type=T&show_desc=Y&class_session_id=&jbe_exists=0&scc=NH&total_hits=13&resonly=0&internal_only=N&group_internal=N&displayrows=10 Good luck