July 2012- flooding in Sheffield/North Derbyshire MEGATHREAD

Don't want to be a doom monger here BUT we are no where near out of the woods yet...

If the water keeps pouring down from the hills which it will do overnight, then the already too high rivers are going to get higher.

The guy on the news earlier said it was looking like it had peaked, so I was assuming that the water courses would move the excess surface water away at a sufficient rate to prevent further floods - fingers crossed that that's the case anyway.

Don't want to be a doom monger here BUT we are no where near out of the woods yet...

If the water keeps pouring down from the hills which it will do overnight, then the already too high rivers are going to get higher.

The rivers have peaked already, there'd need to be more heavy rainfall overnight (not forecasted) for them to burst their banks 2007-style.

They were never cleared, the backed up debris were removed. Hence all the new trees jamming the bridges today. Fingers crossed we dodge the bullet over the next few days.

They were cleared massively. Millions of £ spent. Have a walk along the river ( not tonight!) and see the flood works and the amount of trees removed from Malin Bridge through to Meadowhall. Cycled it yesterday and the river was low. A testament to how much rain has fallen over te catchment area.

The problem with the rivers is that there is a lot of water that fell on the moors today that will be heading towards the rivers so they will get bigger even without rain

The problem with the rivers is that there is a lot of water that fell on the moors today that will be heading towards the rivers so they will get bigger even without rain

That's happened already, with the levels peaking at 9pm

I've just been down to meadowhall (11 o'clock) and its dropped a few inch from earlier (7.30) you can now see the tops of the railings on the footpath now

Nice that they're serving me ads in line with stuff I've been browsing at Amazon, though, so not all bad;)

If you've let them onto your machine this is but a fraction of what they know about you. get Firefox and all the add-ons to keep the bees away!

Don't quite know what the silver fence is going to do if it does flood near meadowhall...

Well I am sure that without the riverways clearance work from the council that has gone on over the last five years we would have been in much more dire straights than just the mild alarm of today! Between oughtiibridge and kelham island there was a big difference in the flowing *away* of the flood water... Not sure how well Rotherham and Donny have coped tho!

They have done well, Give praise where it's due:)