2nd hand camera advise

WeX

Lens/flash/tripod much more important than body in my opinion (others may will disagree ;) ). Invest well in those and you'll be able to provide sufficient light for any body.

:D disagree no, the bugs i took were handheld on a Nikon d2x the flash was the most important they were also taken outside, a rapid 8fps also helps as the subject plus wind don't always want to playball.

Edited by steve68

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's advise. I have purchased a second hand Sony Alpha 200 DSLR with the 18-70mm out the box Lens.

after buying an 8GB compact flash and a nice toploader bag, all I need is a nice macro lens and I'm sorted :)

I may have some close up filters you could have somewhere. They screw onto existing lens to allow you to focus closer.

Not as good as a dedicated lens but would be good enough to play with until you save for one. What thread size is the lens you have? I'll dig them out and see if they'll fit.

i have some close up filters (Hoya) set of 3 (+1, +2, +4) in leather pouch.

also have one (+3) filter, Hoya too. this comes in plastic box.

They are 52mm thread. got macro lens so not using anymore.

PM if interested :)

I may have some close up filters you could have somewhere. They screw onto existing lens to allow you to focus closer.

Not as good as a dedicated lens but would be good enough to play with until you save for one. What thread size is the lens you have? I'll dig them out and see if they'll fit.

Dafoot, I'm extremely grateful for your kind generosity but I couldn't expect a relative stranger to give me free stuff. Thanks though.

Are you talking about something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Polaroid-Macro-Close-Piece-Filter/dp/B003UI25LG

I have the kit lens that comes with my Sony Alpha 200 which I'm reliably informed is a DT 18-70mm f3.5 Zoom lens (27 - 105 35mm eq).

Close up filters I have are Hama and 55mm thread. Similar to those you've found on Amazon, yes. On the front of the lens you will have a number like 49 or 55 probably prefixed by a symbol ('o' with a line through it). That is the thread size.

Do you know the product code of the lens you have? I think it may be this one:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/lenses/sony_18-70_3p5-5p6 which has a thread size of 55mm so these filters would fit.

Not a problem you taking them for nowt if you would use them, they're not expensive and I'm not using them.

Close up filters I have are Hama and 55mm thread. Similar to those you've found on Amazon, yes. On the front of the lens you will have a number like 49 or 55 probably prefixed by a symbol ('o' with a line through it). That is the thread size.

Do you know the product code of the lens you have? I think it may be this one:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/lenses/sony_18-70_3p5-5p6 which has a thread size of 55mm so these filters would fit.

Not a problem you taking them for nowt if you would use them, they're not expensive and I'm not using them.

That looks like it. I'll double check tonight but mine is the 18-70 kit lens for sure.

Is this what you mean? http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71my%2Bs8tCPL._AA1251_.jpg

Is that a universal symbol for the thread length?

i got the same kit dude but after reading through the bumf i decided to get the remote kit to keep the shutter open longer(looking at night shoots and effects) tripod for defo, camera tells me i got the shakes lol and a selection of filters, seen some on ebay i fancy, the uv's and colours lunar and solar, i also need to attach my camera to my scope so need an adapter if anybody knows where i can aquire one.