2nd hand camera advise

WeX

Hi all photographers, professional and amateur.

I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand camera and I was hoping some of you could give me a little advise on what to buy.

I want a camera that will give me the ability to take lots of very close up photos. Macro shots. Something I can change the lenses on if needed for different types of shots, but primarily I want this for macro work.

Any advise would be gratefully received :D

In short you're looking for an SLR camera then and a decent macro lens.

There are loads of camera bodies to choose from, but if you're starting from nothing then look into lenses and closeup flashes first then work out which body you want. The lens should outlast the camera body itself by a long way.

I have a Tamron 180mm Macro which I live, but it really needs a tripod to get the best out of it. Using a tripod is a good idea when doing macro stuff whatever the lens.

I went for a Manfrotto 055xProb because of the flexibility it offers for macro work with legs that splay out and can be set individually and also the centre column can be re-arranged into all manner of positions.

I would imagine the A230 would suffice I have used the A100 in much of my macro work, though I have now moved on to A77 (so if I can find a buyer the A100 will be going). In a few years your lens etc will still be good but you could potentially upgrade the body later as tech advances.

Do you know if Harrison's sell second hand bodies? (found it here: http://www.harrisoncameras.net/) As so far I can only find CEX selling them and theirs probably still have the evidence tags on them.

I don't want to buy anything new as I will no doubt make mistakes and or drop the bloody thing, as i'm learning :)

Edited by WeX

Hmmm, EOS 10D or 350D :)

So onto lenses then. Whats the difference between a AF and MF lens?

Autofocus (AF) vs Manual Focus (MF)

For macro you're generally better using MF, so look for a wide focus ring on the lens you choose.

Autofocus (AF) vs Manual Focus (MF)

For macro you're generally better using MF, so look for a wide focus ring on the lens you choose.

Arh, I knew it would be something simple :)

So MF lens it is then :) Although I assume you can get an AF lens that can be set to MF.