Flags upside down

[Pedant Warning]

Unless you're at sea it's the Union Flag, not Union Jack

Not according to Parliament in 1908. Both names can be used.

Edit - Beaten to it by post above

I stand corrected

No, you really don't. To refer to any flag as "jack" when it is not being flown from the jack-mast of a ship, is self-evident nonsense. Making it officially nonsense doesn't alter that.

I prefer to think I was right :)

I bet nobody has ever flown the Welsh flag upside down.

And does the cover of Canned Heat's "Future Blues" LP mean anything to anyone? (There must be someone surely. South Yorkshire is a big county.)

I bet nobody has ever flown the Welsh flag upside down.

And does the cover of Canned Heat's "Future Blues" LP mean anything to anyone? (There must be someone surely. South Yorkshire is a big county.)

Or the St George, though in that case how would you know? :)

As a forum legend posted on here the other day ... imagine the word 'yawn' lasered on the surface of the Moon :D

Who really cares if it's upside down or wrong way round, what difference does it make to the display? They should have made it symetrical in the first place.

I'm all for flying flags whatever nationality you are, I have my Union Jack up at the minute and my St Georges at the ready, I'm not really a big royalist but I do like them. I do totally support our troops in everything they do, I'm not really a big football fan but I will watch England and I do still love this country even in its poor sorry state it's in.

So can we a least make the effort if you have bothered to put up a flag make sure it's the right way up!

I drove through Killamarsh this morning to see a row of houses all with there flags out, how nice it looked until I then realised half the flags were upside down.

Yeah.

It moderately irritates me.

No, you really don't. To refer to any flag as "jack" when it is not being flown from the jack-mast of a ship, is self-evident nonsense. Making it officially nonsense doesn't alter that.

Did you not read the quote, the flag was called the jack before the jack-mast existed.

The word "jack" was in use before 1600 to describe the maritime bow flag.[5] By 1627 a small Union Jack was commonly flown in this position. One theory goes that for some years it would have been called just "the Jack", or "Jack flag", or "the King's Jack", but by 1674, while formally referred to as "His Majesty's Jack", it was commonly called the Union Jack, and this was officially acknowledged.