Rude Doctor at Sheffield Medical Centre, Spital Hill

I went to the dr tonight and was so disgusted with the way I was treated I'm considering filing a formal complaint against him.

He literally laughed in my face when I told him my problem, made out I was over reacting, repeatedly interrupted me when I was trying to explain the problem and looked in my throat for approximately 1 second before telling me there was nothing wrong with me and asking me "What ae you scared of young lady?" (I'm 29!)

My throat is so swollen it feels like its closing up and I can't breathe properly! I think this is really serious and cannot believe how bad this dr made me feel for daring to go and see him about it!

Do you think I should file a complaint?

yes.

No one should make you feel belittled, especially someone in a position of responsibility, some of these GPs seem to forget who pays their wages.

Ask to see the practice manager and give your complaint in writing.

I don't know whether you should or not.

But if you're still suffering and feel ill and he gave you no treatment, you could go to the walk in at Broad Lane, it's open till fairly late.

Sheffield NHS Walk-in Centre / GP Health Centre Rockingham House Broad Lane Sheffield, S1 3PB (Please use S1 4BT with your sat nav) Telephone: 0114 241 2700

difficult situation its your word against his. have you seen this GP before? Rather than going in all guns blazing perhaps you ought to see speak to the Practice Mgr asking to see a different GP at the practice and explain your reasons for requesting this.

it'd be your word against his and may be best not to use formal approach of writing in the first instance and give practice a change of remedying the situation!

Yes he could get into trouble for that and even get taken to court

I would find another practice if at all possible. The practice managers are really there just to back the GP's up, after all they are paid by them. Anything you say will be discussed with all staff and put on your records. I am still waiting for my practice manager to ring me back from seven years ago when I was trying to get help for a friend who wanted (and did) get off drugs. My GP was willing to help, but the practice manager just kept putting obstacles in the way. Ignorant to the extreme. Now it's on my record that I associate with drug users, which is better than associating with pompous prigs.

You should always file an official complaint in situations like this. Even if it is just your word against his the chances are that he will have treat others similarliy. As the complaints mount up , the doc loses credibility. YES....complain officially!

I would complain too....whether it be in writing or a phone call.

I can imagine how stressed you are if your throat is swelled up and you find it difficult to breathe. It isn't to be laughed at.

This so called doctor needs reporting so at least it is logged somewhere as to his poor manner so at least when they have received their 100th complaint it is perhaps time to take is seriously:rant:

My throat is so swollen it feels like its closing up and I can't breathe properly! .......

If that is true, you should be at A&E instead of typing on here.

Off you go .... and please report back.

Had the same problem a couple of years ago, my wife was in agony with sore throat.

The doctor would not give her antibiotics so we went to walk in centre and they would not treat her either.

Cut a long story short, eventually went back to doctors a couple of days later and he sent her to hospital, there she was diagnosed with Quincies [ never heard of it myself ] and the doctor lanced it and removed the pus etc.

He said if she had left it any longer she could have got peritinitis if it had burst on it's own.

My advice would be to go straight walk in centre or accident and emergency.

Hope this doesn't scare you but take no chances, hope it everything turns out ok

Ditto re Quinsey's Abcess. Had it too - big lump on neck, couldn't swallow (to point I preferred to drool - gross I know) - it got very bad very quickly and doc hit it with big antibiotics - I narrowly avoided ENT clinic for lancing. Get your diagnosis and fix then contemplate your complaint. It will carry more weight when you have a confirmed diagnosis and treatment to refer to... Good luck.

Re diagnosis - ask to see another doc at same clinic, or head to NHS walk in or A&E if it feels like an emergency (can't swallow/breathing difficult).

Edited by pigtails