Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

here are some things that I have heard my work colleague utter in the 2 hours since kaarontf proposed the use of "oh my god" as proof of her existence:

"oh my god"

"f*** me"

"b***** me"

"for christ's sake"

"coz I'm a bitch"

"sc*** you"

"I've told you until I'm blue in the face"

"okay love"

"bloody hell"

Do you work in a brothel?

Do you work in a brothel?

Probably not,but he can usually be relied on to lower the tone of a thread.

He's just pointing out that people say reactionary phrases (some a little expletive) every day, but it doesn't mean that they MEAN what they say in the phrase.

ie, "My word!" - they're not actually referring to any "word" they have said

"My God!" - not usually actually referring to any god

"By jingo!" - uhhm... I really have no idea for this one!

He's just pointing out that people say reactionary phrases (some a little expletive) every day, but it doesn't mean that they MEAN what they say in the phrase.

ie, "My word!" - they're not actually referring to any "word" they have said

"My God!" - not usually actually referring to any god

"By jingo!" - uhhm... I really have no idea for this one!

No comment.:roll:

You have been quite quick to complain about the use of ridicule when it is used by non-believers, but you certainly know how to chuck it out yourself.

I have never considered this to be an us v them issue, just an interesting topic for debate. People are people, some are rude, some are not.

Whilst your opinion on me might be wrong, and uncalled for, you are free to hold it and I don't care if you wish to type it out here for others to see. All you do is highlight the transparency of the glass in your own house.

Does god exist?

Yes. You are a fine fellow with high morals.

No. You are a militant atheist. Why do you insult my beliefs, and attempt to impose your's.

It's just a question.

Hi

Good question but we do have archealogical (sorry for spelling) remains that prove the bible accounts,its funny that we believe what MAN says but dont believe scriptures that have been proven to be authentic many many times, but you are right we have to rely on something but we then put it all together and see what we get, all i am saying is i do believe in God. I'm neither a scholar or a fanatic that tries to understand why we are here and give myself some hope. God i sound a bit sad lol. Just gave my bit so im leaving this thread now but good luck to everyone in everything you do.

We have archaeological evidence to show certain Biblical places and events are real.

That doesn't prove the Biblical accounts though.

We also have archaeological evidence which shows us that El and YHWH were originally two seperate Gods (they were amalgamated into one God which became the Judaic, Christian and partial basis for the Islamic God), that El had a wife (the Goddess Athirat), and that he was the head of a pantheon of Gods, the lesser deities of the pantheon became some of the angels and Satan, but let's not get bogged down with details.

rossyrooney: For the simple reason that the word god is usually used to describe the Christian Deity whereas other religions tend to have their own names for him i.e Allah.Buddha,Jehovah etc.

God is the normal English term so my confusion could have arisen for that.[/Quote]

Buddha. Not a name for God, a title for a man who's name was Siddartha Gautama. He didn't claim to be God, nor do his followers believe he is one. When asked about God he said thinking about such things detracts from the path to Nibbana (not heaven before you ask). The only places in the Buddhist canon where God is mentioned as an aside (once in conversation with a sect who are today know as the Jain religion, the other when speaking about Brahma, the pre Hindu supreme deity) there is no mention by Gautama the Buddha that in either instance there is a supreme creator God.

The closest we get is in the conversation with the Jains, where he says that if there is a creator God, and the Jains view is right, he cannot be a loving God, but if there is a creator God and his own view is right, then he is a loving God. So in short, no creator God in Buddhism for all intents and purporses.

Jehovah. Is a complete mis rendering, it derives from the tetragammatron (YHWH), but, no one alive knows the correct pronunciation of it. In its original form only the Hebrew priests were allowed to know the name, and they all died out.

What we do know is that the pronunciation of Jehovah is completely wrong, on the simple basis that there is no 'J' sound in the Hebrew language that was spoken at the time that God's name was known by said priests.

Sorry for spoiling your fun but you did have to bring it up.

Edited by PaliRichard

You have been quite quick to complain about the use of ridicule when it is used by non-believers, but you certainly know how to chuck it out yourself.

I have never considered this to be an us v them issue, just an interesting topic for debate. People are people, some are rude, some are not.

Whilst your opinion on me might be wrong, and uncalled for, you are free to hold it and I don't care if you wish to type it out here for others to see. All you do is highlight the transparency of the glass in your own house.

Does god exist?

Yes. You are a fine fellow with high morals.

No. You are a militant atheist. Why do you insult my beliefs, and attempt to impose your's.

It's just a question.

Oh that really is so uncalled for.There isn't a grain of truth in what you've said about me. :(

Oh that really is so uncalled for.There isn't a grain of truth in what you've said about me. :(

What precisely do you think I have said about you that is untrue?

What precisely do you think I have said about you that is untrue?

I'm not going to discuss it any further,because i think you are just trying to provoke an argument.You can be very mischievous sometimes.

I'm not going to discuss it any further,because i think you are just trying to provoke an argument.You can be very mischievous sometimes.

Mischievous definitely. Clumsy attempts at humour frequently. That's me to a tee I admit.

But never do I attempt to make my comments personal, which is what I was responding to in your direct snide post about me, and which I quoted.

I recall Chris_Sleeps making a similar observation.

:huh:

Mischievous definitely. Clumsy attempts at humour frequently. That's me to a tee I admit.

But never do I attempt to make my comments personal, which is what I was responding to in your direct snide post about me, and which I quoted.

I recall Chris_Sleeps making a similar observation.

:huh:

It depends on how you interpret comments.I would never say "How patronising" for instance.

No your attempts at humour are not always clumsy,sometimes i've found them very funny.Its the serious comments i've laughed at the most though. ;)

We have archaeological evidence to show certain Biblical places and events are real.

That doesn't prove the Biblical accounts though.

We also have archaeological evidence which shows us that El and YHWH were originally two seperate Gods (they were amalgamated into one God which became the Judaic, Christian and partial basis for the Islamic God), that El had a wife (the Goddess Athirat), and that he was the head of a pantheon of Gods, the lesser deities of the pantheon became some of the angels and Satan, but let's not get bogged down with details.

Buddha. Not a name for God, a title for a man who's name was Siddartha Gautama. He didn't claim to be God, nor do his followers believe he is one. When asked about God he said thinking about such things detracts from the path to Nibbana (not heaven before you ask). The only places in the Buddhist canon where God is mentioned as an aside (once in conversation with a sect who are today know as the Jain religion, the other when speaking about Brahma, the pre Hindu supreme deity) there is no mention by Gautama the Buddha that in either instance there is a supreme creator God.

The closest we get is in the conversation with the Jains, where he says that if there is a creator God, and the Jains view is right, he cannot be a loving God, but if there is a creator God and his own view is right, then he is a loving God. So in short, no creator God in Buddhism for all intents and purporses.

Jehovah. Is a complete mis rendering, it derives from the tetragammatron (YHWH), but, no one alive knows the correct pronunciation of it. In its original form only the Hebrew priests were allowed to know the name, and they all died out.

What we do know is that the pronunciation of Jehovah is completely wrong, on the simple basis that there is no 'J' sound in the Hebrew language that was spoken at the time that God's name was known by said priests.

Sorry for spoiling your fun but you did have to bring it up.

Phfft....stuff and made up nonsense,don't tell me you believe in such rubbish.