Road Rage Incident - Objective advice wanted

Although to be fair to Stomp what sort of moron deliberately damages someones vehicle at high speed on a motorway just because they didn't let him/her past immediately they wished to do so?

The sort of person who thought that somebody had just tried to kill them might get a bit cross.

It sounds like you're qualified beyond your ability otherwise you'd remember that you should not do anything that will cause another road user to change direction or speed, such as, err... flashing your brake lights at a motorcyclist who is so close that "the motorcyclist would have ended up on my back seat".

Instead of asking us to exonerate you and blame the other road user maybe you should be thinking yourself lucky that you don't have a dead biker to explain to a jury?

Originally Posted by Stomp View Post

Thank you for all the snotty "I drive better than you" responses. Please would you be so kind as to publish your driving qualifications? I suspect most of you have none.

Mine:

IAM Certified Advanced Driver & Observer

RoSPA Gold.

I agree with tony and I remember that defensive driving is a big part of advanced driver training.

Driver training courses from RoSPA help to reduce road accidents through defensive driver training of well-managed, skilled drivers.

The sort of person who thought that somebody had just tried to kill them might get a bit cross.
Have we even established yet that blipping the brake pedal to disengage the cruise control shows a light to the rear?

As I said 6 of one, etc, but one overreacted majorly imo.

Would you like a copy of my certificate? PM me and I'll send it you.

Why would I brake sharply for no reason? Im not a moron. I am perfectly entilted to brake If I feel the NEED to . Not because I just felt like performing an emergency stop in the middle of the motorway you buffoon. I brake when I need to. If I feel I need to perform an emergency stop for whatever reason that's exactly what I would do. I wouldn't be driving along listening to my radio and think "Hmm. Im bored. I think I'll sit on my brakes".

Ok, now I understand the bikers point of view....your anger is tangible on an internet forum, never mind in a car! :|

Ok, now I understand the bikers point of view....your anger is tangible on an internet forum, never mind in a car! :|
lol, don't you think that's just the SF effect? I'm a bit irate now and I wasn't even there or even know either of the protagonists. :cool:

Have we even established yet that blipping the brake pedal to disengage the cruise control shows a light to the rear?

Yes it does. My cars also have a button to switch off the CC and if I press the CC stalk down it reduces the speed just like taking my foot off the gas pedal. There's no reason / excuse for touching the brake pedal at all.

Stomp's attempt to teach the biker a lesson could have turned out a lot worse - he / she should be thankful not to be up on a manslaughter charge.

lol, don't you think that's just the SF effect? I'm a bit irate now and I wasn't even there or even know either of the protagonists. :cool:

I'm not irate, I am however questioning the Op's need to show such anger on SF, on such a small issue (IMO) :D

Yes it does. My cars also have a button to switch off the CC and if I press the CC stalk down it reduces the speed just like taking my foot off the gas pedal. There's no reason / excuse for touching the brake pedal at all.

Stomp's attempt to teach the biker a lesson could have turned out a lot worse - he / she should be thankful not to be up on a manslaughter charge.

I can't believe that he didn't know exactly what he was doing when he dabbed the brake - perhaps a naive inexperienced driver might be ignorant under such circumstances, but a master of the road, like Stomp seems to be with his most impressive certificates, knew what he was doing when he hit the brake, and knew that it would alarm the rider.

If he honestly didn't know that, he needs to realise that his IAM papers mean nothing.

I'm not irate, I am however questioning the Op's need to show such anger on SF, on such a small issue (IMO) :D
Maybe I'm being a little unfair there blaming the whole of SF. Actually, I think it's just the utterings of certain people that encourages the red mist :D

Maybe I'm being a little unfair there. Actually, I think it's just the utterings of certain people that encourages the red mist :D

Like you say ...it's SF...taa daa! :)

Sigh. Again? Really?

Read post 1. It clearly says I was overtaking. This believe it or not is possible on a motorway with your CC on. Try it. You'll be amazed.

Yes I braked to turn off CC. Hindsight says this probably initiated a chain of escalating events. To be fair either of us could have ended this chain at any time had we chosen to. We both must share that responsibility. I don't believe I said I was going to "accelerate to move back into lane 2". I did point out that this may have been an option to a MORE advanced driver than I.

Accelerating whilst cruise is on is possible. But why would I accelerate FURTHER when already doing 80? In fairness I could have out my foot down but I rather suspect it would have a achieved little as a motorcycle is always going to beat a 2.0 4x4 in accelaration but it may have put me into a better position to move I to lane 2 to allow mr motorcycle to get from up my backside. I'll ponder that one.

If the guy is behind you, and there is a car to your left, surely going FASTER to get past the car, so you can pull in would be the only sensible option. How was slowing down going to help? It sounds like you were barely going fast enough to overtake anyway. What was breaking going to achieve? Slow down even more so the middle lane traffic goes past you? Great idea.

Edited by neeeeeeeeeek

Quite right. I'd be a bit miffed too, however I wouldn't then put my life at risk again by taking my hand off the bike to damage the other persons vehicle no matter how I felt.

So your perception of anger on an internet forum equates to anger behind the wheel? I'm sorry, but what is your point here?

Again, my vehicle has 4 ways to disengage cruise control. However I have gotten into the habit of doing it by braking.

Assumption plain and simple. You have no evidence other than your own opinion that I was trying to teach anyone anything.

I can't believe that he didn't know exactly what he was doing when he dabbed the brake - perhaps a naive inexperienced driver might be ignorant under such circumstances, but a master of the road, like Stomp seems to be with his most impressive certificates, knew what he was doing when he hit the brake, and knew that it would alarm the rider.

If he honestly didn't know that, he needs to realise that his IAM papers mean nothing.

Of course I knew what I was doing when I pressed the brake, I don't walk around in a daze.

If the guy is behind you, and there is a car to your left, surely going FASTER to get past the car, so you can pull in would be the only sensible option. How was slowing down going to help? It sounds like you were barely going fast enough to overtake anyway. What was breaking going to achieve? Slow down even more so the middle lane traffic goes past you? Great idea.

How does it sound like I was barely going fast enough to overtake? Are you basing this on the fact that the motorcyclist wanted to get past me?

I have already made it clear that I was overtaking, and gaining on vehicles to my left. This is not to say that i'm sat in the outside lane tootling along whilst lane 2 is empty. If I am gaining on vehicles in lane 2 at a reasonable rate, then it is justified to stay in lane 3 rather than move into lane 2 for the two or three seconds it will take for me to be in a position to need to overtake again.

Edited by Stomp
Typo