Sheffield may now be over 2% 'prejudiced'

Sorry but I don't know if the city centre is such "neutral territory". It's one of the worst parts of the entire city.

I can think of a lot of nice parts of Sheffield but none of them are in the centre.

I think the city centre is basically for students and local mainly working class people only. I notice they seem to enjoy being there. If you aren't in either of those groups you feel ignored and shunned and alientated.

Also, the city centre offers almost nothing that any high street in any town anywhere in the UK offers apart from maybe john Lewis. on top of that it is mainly scruffy and dirty.

Unless you are looking for something at Lewiss there is no point in going there. Most professional people in Sheffield avoid the place like the plague as they don't want to voluntarily ruin their day.

so it isn't such neutral territory, it is actually the worst part of the city.

Snobbery flobbery cackibabaa.

According to a recent post on this forum, 98% of people in Sheffield described themselves as unprejudiced, while “racists and xenophobes account for 1.5% and trolls and out-and-out bigots, 0.5%"

These Office for National Statistics figures sound about right for the mid-2000s. I have travelled widely in England, and used to consider Sheffield one of the most ‘unprejudiced’ cities of its size.

Now I believe they are badly WRONG. The prejudiced population has since soared. Earlier this year, I did a series of 30-minute head-count tests in the city centre - sitting at cafes simply counting passersby walking past a fixed point. The city centre is neutral territory used by all Sheffield people, regardless of grouping. I counted several thousand people. Overall, the number of racists/xenophobes/otherwise prejudiced was between ONE IN FOUR and ONE IN THREE.

If this is true, Sheffield is now undergoing the greatest change in its modern history. And nobody is saying anything about it.

Any (purely statistical) thoughts?

Don't understand this, you mean you can tell if a person is a racist just by watching them walk by or is that just the way it reads.From the people i come in contact with i would say eighty five percent are racist in the wide definition that seems to be used nowadays.

Sorry but I don't know if the city centre is such "neutral territory". It's one of the worst parts of the entire city.

I can think of a lot of nice parts of Sheffield but none of them are in the centre.

I think the city centre is basically for students and local mainly working class people only. I notice they seem to enjoy being there. If you aren't in either of those groups you feel ignored and shunned and alientated.

Also, the city centre offers almost nothing that any high street in any town anywhere in the UK offers apart from maybe john Lewis. on top of that it is mainly scruffy and dirty.

Unless you are looking for something at Lewiss there is no point in going there. Most professional people in Sheffield avoid the place like the plague as they don't want to voluntarily ruin their day.

so it isn't such neutral territory, it is actually the worst part of the city.

You have been Poe'd

jb

How did you determine these people walking past you were racists? Were they wearing badges or something?

Don't understand this, you mean you can tell if a person is a racist just by watching them walk by or is that just the way it reads.From the people i come in contact with i would say eighty five percent are racist in the wide definition that seems to be used nowadays.

Whoosh - that's the sound of the OP going right over your heads...

How did you determine these people walking past you were racists? Were they wearing badges or something?

That's what I was wondering, how on earth did the OP know these certain people were racist etc.