All bank holidays could be scrapped

Thin end of the wedge, I think we should have more BHs, not less. Pancake day should be a BH, as should Halloween and Bonfire night.

Thin end of the wedge, I think we should have more BHs, not less. Pancake day should be a BH, as should Halloween and Bonfire night.

But not for teachers. They should be made to accept these as inset days and work them.

Every full time worker should have at least 20 bank holidays plus 25 annual leave days to give the unemployed a chance to do some work.

Don't forget Saint George's day!

I don't think Bank holidays should be scrapped at all. In fact if anything they should be increased.

I have noticed that most of the posters on here who seem to want them scrapped are the ones who work them - mmm wonder why they would want to stop other people having days off work.

Apart from Good Fridays Bank Holiday Mondays don't matter to me as I don't work Mondays anyway but I certainly wouldn't want to deprive others of.it

And anyway how could the government agree as it would have an impact on their holidays and they wouldn't want that.

I'm indifferent, whether they are there or not makes no odds to me. I don't give a shred that people are out while i'm working as my current job gives me plenty of free time. Truth is, given the choice I would work them as the money is needed more than the time off.

I'm indifferent, whether they are there or not makes no odds to me. I don't give a shred that people are out while i'm working as my current job gives me plenty of free time. Truth is, given the choice I would work them as the money is needed more than the time off.

I thought that most employed people tend to get paid for time off at Bank Holidays? I appreciate that self employed don't but I thought the majority of working people did.

I thought that most employed people tend to get paid for time off at Bank Holidays? I appreciate that self employed don't but I thought the majority of working people did.

Double bubble if you work them in a lot of cases to. Of course there are employers who regard BH's as just another day and pay the standard rate bah!

SCC abolished the automatic day2 holiday (= Tuesday after each Monday Bank Holiday). They allowed most staff simply to add the days to annual holiday allocation.

So why not extend this to all Bank Holidays? That would mean employees working on the existing eight Bank Holidays: 1 January**, Easter Friday/Monday, first and last Mondays in May [which, this year only, is instead 'first Monday in May, first Monday in June, and Tuesday after the latter], last Monday in August, and 25/26 December**.

(** or one weekday in lieu, if one of those falls on Sat/Sun)

So everyone's annual holiday entitlement would rise by eight days, to be taken whenever the employee wishes (inc. on 'lost' Bank Holiday days, if desired)- and, because it would be statutory, employers would not be able to object.

A good idea or not?

SCC abolished the automatic day2 holiday (= Tuesday after each Monday Bank Holiday). They allowed most staff simply to add the days to annual holiday allocation.

So why not extend this to all Bank Holidays? That would mean employees working on the existing eight Bank Holidays: 1 January**, Easter Friday/Monday, first and last Mondays in May [which, this year only, is instead 'first Monday in May, first Monday in June, and Tuesday after the latter], last Monday in August, and 25/26 December**.

(** or one weekday in lieu, if one of those falls on Sat/Sun)

So everyone's annual holiday entitlement would rise by eight days, to be taken whenever the employee wishes (inc. on 'lost' Bank Holiday days, if desired)- and, because it would be statutory, employers would not be able to object.

A good idea or not?

The problem with this idea is that many employers already count the bank holidays within the total statutory allowance of 28 days.....so not people would not see any additional leave (granted they would be able to take it on requested days rather than specified ).

Any day the sun is out should be a bank holiday. Mind you, if they adopt that and scrap the current fixed ones, we'd usually end up with none!!

Any day the sun is out should be a bank holiday. Mind you, if they adopt that and scrap the current fixed ones, we'd usually end up with none!!

It's actually the opposite: if it's B/Hol, it rains. So the way to cure the drought could be to declare every day a B/Hol. Or appoint Denis Howell as Minister for Drought, as in 1976 (see http://uk.ask.com/web?q=%22denis+howell%22&sm=adv&advc=uk&dm=ctry&qsrc=66&o=0&l=dir&siteid=0), except that he died in 1998.