Cottage or Shepherd's Pie

Are you asking generally or asking someone specific?

Sorry, I was primarily asking primaljay about onions but as other posters didn't mention them I wondered if some people didn't add them.

I have a related sort of shepherds pie question. I've got a chunk of roasted lamb in the freezer. Can I defrost it, dice it up and make it in to a Shepherds pie? If yes, can I then freeze the shepherds pie? Thanks in advance for your answers.

I usually add onions, carrots, mushrooms (just cos I love em) and top with grated cheese, mmmmm :)

I've done it without onion, and the flavour just is not there

Edit: I occasionally put ketchup in the meat mix too, gives it an extra 'kick' :)

I usually add onions, carrots, mushrooms (just cos I love em) and top with grated cheese, mmmmm :)

I've done it without onion, and the flavour just is not there

Edit: I occasionally put ketchup in the meat mix too, gives it an extra 'kick' :)

I like to add a chopped stick of celery to the onions as well.

I have a related sort of shepherds pie question. I've got a chunk of roasted lamb in the freezer. Can I defrost it, dice it up and make it in to a Shepherds pie? If yes, can I then freeze the shepherds pie? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Yes, no problem. Normally you shouldn't defrost something then refreeze it, because the time while it's defrosted gives the bugs a chance to get in there; but the bugs will all get wiped out when you cook the shepherd's pie.

Balpin here has the correct "official" answer. Many people do refer to a dish of minced any-kind-of-meat with any kind of a potato topping, as a shepherd's pie, but strictly speaking it should be lamb.

It's not a subject many people bother to be strict about.

the original Shepherd's Pie recipes, published from the late 19th century onwards, make no mention of lamb, at all. That's a convention, that came later. Shepherd's and Cottage Pie are basically two different expressions, that came into common usage, for the same dish - a meat and potatoes type concoction, cooked in an oven. Originally it could be any kind of meat. Later on it seems somebody decided that, just because it was called Shepherd's Pie, then therefore it must necessarily be something to do with sheep. But linguistics is not always what it may seem. It does nowadays give restaurants the ability to pad out their menus though, by listing cottage and shepherd's pie as being two different dishes, when the evidence seems to show that originally they were not. They were just two different names, for the same thing.

Edited by callippo

1) Cubed pieces of roast lamb, instead of mince

2) Stock made from the bones

Absolutely gorgeous.

Absolutely. Even use the cubed pieces of raw lamb, the tast is much much better than the mince(Don't really know what is in it!).

Also, I'd like some cubed mushrooms in it too.

No one has yet mentioned the essential ingredient which is Lea & Perrins or, for Sheffielders, Henderson's Relish.

No one has yet mentioned the essential ingredient which is Lea & Perrins or, for Sheffielders, Henderson's Relish.

lea and perrins...? please, I would not give that muck house room!

Now as for Hendoes, I can't get enough of that Sheffield nectar! You can't eat meat 'n' tater pie or stew without it!

You can also make a vegetarian Shepherd's pie with green lentils.

:hihi:

(ducks for cover)

Would rather make it with the ducks....at least that is meat :hihi: Lentils...PAH! :D

---------- Post added 23-12-2012 at 08:19 ----------

Another variation.......

Instead of topping with mashed potato...try cheese crumble.

6oz plain flour.....3oz butter.....3oz STRONG cheddar....plus salt and pepper.

Though I am a pig when it comes to this...and do an 8oz flour mix. :love: