Cottage or Shepherd's Pie

PrimalJay

Spare the remarks but I have just cooked my first cottage/shepherd's pie and am wanting to ask some very interesting questions, traditionally is it made from lamb or beef mince and which one tastes better, also, what other vegetable ingredients are best to go in it, I have just used diced carrot and swede in it fried off with some frozen ready cooked beef mince and put loads of mash on top then baked in the oven til crisp.

What is the difference between cottage and shepherd's pie and why is it called different names?

Spare the remarks but I have just cooked my first cottage/shepherd's pie and am wanting to ask some very interesting questions, traditionally is it made from lamb or beef mince and which one tastes better, also, what other vegetable ingredients are best to go in it, I have just used diced carrot and swede in it fried off with some frozen ready cooked beef mince and put loads of mash on top then baked in the oven til crisp.

What is the difference between cottage and shepherd's pie and why is it called different names?

Cottage Pie is made with Beef, Shepherds is made with Lamb.

Of the two Shepherds is the better IMO.

I dont know how to make it, as I only eat it, not cook it. ;-)

Edited by Balpin
addition

Shepherds pie = lamb, shepherds watch sheep

cottage pie = beef and is traditionally topped with slices of potato like a lancashire hotpot which resemble the tiles of a cottage roof

You can put any veg you like in it. I make a version with 6 different veg in it and top the mash with breadcrumbs and parmesan for extra crunch and savouriness. The beauty of it is there is no correct way to make it. Dont feel as though you have to make it one way or another theres a hundred or more ways to do it and all of them are correct

“I hate a good many things, but I suffer them all the same.”

Stannis Baratheon

Cottage Pie is made with Beef, Shepherds is made with Lamb.

Of the two Shepherds is the better IMO.

Balpin here has the correct "official" answer. Many people do refer to a dish of minced any-kind-of-meat with any kind of a potato topping, as a shepherd's pie, but strictly speaking it should be lamb.

It's not a subject many people bother to be strict about.

Balpin here has the correct "official" answer. Many people do refer to a dish of minced any-kind-of-meat with any kind of a potato topping, as a shepherd's pie, but strictly speaking it should be lamb.

It's not a subject many people bother to be strict about.

Really? Show me this rule book with this "official" answer

Stannis Baratheon

Well trust me to ask the important questions in life.
It is important. Don't sell yourself short. A good shepherds/cottage pie is a thing of beauty

Stannis Baratheon