A couple of questions for all lorry drivers on SF!

As a respect to all the people who have died in the recent accident I thought I would put my questions on a new thread.

It has been said on SF (by some lorry drivers!) that accidents are in the main caused by car drivers!

Well, my first question is, why is it that when I am driving on the motorway in the left hand lane (at the speed limit I may add) very often I get lorries driving right up to my bumper and try and intimidate me into moving into the other lane?

Another question I would like to ask is why is it that very often I see two lorries following one another without any braking spaces whatsoever? If the lorry in front braked suddenly then the lorry behind would have no chance of stopping thus causing an accident - but I see this ever so regularly on the motorway. Why do lorry driver's do this?

And why do lorry drivers think that if they indicate they can just pull out? Very often I have had this when I cannot move into the right hand lane because there are cars coming up and yet the lorry driver seems to think that I can just move my car into a non-existence space WHY?

It has been said on SF (by some lorry drivers!) that accidents are in the main caused by car drivers!

That's merely a statement of fact. Most accidents are caused by car drivers, which proves nothing more significant than that there are more cars than lorries on the road.

Most fatal accidents involve lorries, which also proves nothing more significant than that lorries are a lot heavier than cars and are a lot more likely to kill you if they hit you.

As a respect to all the people who have died in the recent accident I thought I would put my questions on a new thread.

Well, my first question is, why is it that when I am driving on the motorway in the left hand lane (at the speed limit I may add) very often I get lorries driving right up to my bumper and try and intimidate me into moving into the other lane?

Another question I would like to ask is why is it that very often I see two lorries following one another without any braking spaces whatsoever? If the lorry in front braked suddenly then the lorry behind would have no chance of stopping thus causing an accident - but I see this ever so regularly on the motorway. Why do lorry driver's do this?

And why do lorry drivers think that if they indicate they can just pull out? Very often I have had this when I cannot move into the right hand lane because there are cars coming up and yet the lorry driver seems to think that I can just move my car into a non-existence space WHY?

I am a lorry driver class 1 and have been for 25 years I work for a well known firm if not the most well known firm,99.9% of accidents are the fault of car or van drivers full stop, if a truck is up your bumper you you are driving below 56mph as most all HGVs are governed to 56 mph so you are not driving to the speed on the motorway, I personally always try to keep a braking distance between the next truck but you always get the car drivers who jump in the space so you have to keep moving back all the time to maintain the space,sometimes the truck in front might be loaded down and might be moving very slow as you come up to it you indicate to move out to over take why do some car drivers speed up just to be awkward making the truck driver brake, I would never dream of pulling out in front of any vehicle or bully any driver into making a dangerous move,doing silly things in a 45 tone truck is very dangerous, cars can use the out side lane to move over a lot of car drivers sit in the middle lane blocking the ability for trucks to over take if you read the road and forward plan you can see what is happening some car drivers don't seem to have that ability, I have seen some good car drivers on the motorways but they few and far between,the problem is most car drivers have no idea how a truck works or the amount of space and time we need to maneuver we can not just whip out of a junction and put the foot down every move we make has to be thought about very carefully.

Edited by Shogun

Lorries should not be allowed on motorways getween 07:00 and 09:00 and16:00 and 18:00.

They should be trade tested at least once a year, as the standard of driving of most is appalling.

That's OK till you go to the supermarket and they haven't got your favorite type brand or something as the delivery hasn't come you would be the first to start moaning we deliver goods 24/7 that is they way of life know.

Lorries should not be allowed on motorways getween 07:00 and 09:00 and16:00 and 18:00.

They should be trade tested at least once a year, as the standard of driving of most is appalling.

and how do you think companies get their goods for you to buy etc? if it wasnt for lorry drivers the world would grind to a hault!!!!!!,

the lorries are serviced on a regular basis by law, and drivers have to have a medical every 3 yrs i believe,

but cars dont and car drivers dont have medicals either,

it is car drivers that cause a lot of accidents for lorry drivers by cutting them up etc and expecting the lorries to stop in time when fully loaded ,

i know, my OH is a lorry driver and i have been out with him and 'some' car drivers are appalling, :rant: