Sheffield Steel Industry

My father and father in law worked in the steel industry in Sheffield and both were made redundant in their 50's.

My dad inparticular found it hard to find employment after that. He had a few temporary jobs before finding a permanent job in another smaller steel works in Sheffield. He finally retired at 60 due to health problems.

My father in law went on to work at various temp agencies. He's a highly skilled plater and helped build the roof for the National Centre for Pop Music in Patternoster Row.

Sadly, what steel industry is that then. Its all been lost to "progress".:loopy:

Angel.

Sheffield stilll has a big steel industry stop moaning

GodStar

You might be able to find some examples such as this historic bit of film:

I'm sure I've seen films about steel production at Museums in Sheffield (e.g. Kelham Island)- though I guess they would have been made for promotional or educational purposes rather than entertainment.

Sadly, what steel industry is that then. Its all been lost to "progress".:loopy:

Angel.

Crumbs!

I suppose i'd better not go in on monday then :(

33 years at the same steelworks- you would think they would have the decency to tell me that i'm out of a job :mad:

Thanks Angel, i'd better get down to the Labour exchange and see if there's any jobs going at Asda :gag:

Er... is there still a labour exchange at West Street????

Sadly after a liftime of pouring hundreds of thousands of tonnes of molten steel it looks like i'll be pushing trolleys :rolleyes:

No more of these to be produced here in Sheffield :o

Or these

These either

And deffo none of this

Biggsy :cry:

Sorry Angel- I just couldn't resist it :blush:

Angel.

there's still just a little bit left!!

Sheffield stilll has a big steel industry stop moaning

GodStar

wrong!!!!!!

Crumbs!

I suppose i'd better not go in on monday then :(

33 years at the same steelworks- you would think they would have the decency to tell me that i'm out of a job :mad:

Thanks Angel, i'd better get down to the Labour exchange and see if there's any jobs going at Asda :gag:

Er... is there still a labour exchange at West Street????

Sadly after a liftime of pouring hundreds of thousands of tonnes of molten steel it looks like i'll be pushing trolleys :rolleyes:

No more of these to be produced here in Sheffield :o

Or these

These either

And deffo none of this

Biggsy :cry:

Sorry Angel- I just couldn't resist it :blush:

think your self lucky you had a job that long, and stop showing off, and what's up with pushin trolley's, JOB SNOB

Biggsy, great photos. Is it Forgemasters you work for? What the heck is the big UFO like thing? Are you doing the work for the nuclear power pressure vessels?

@Malony111, I hope you're just being sarcastic.

Biggsy, great photos. Is it Forgemasters you work for? What the heck is the big UFO like thing? Are you doing the work for the nuclear power pressure vessels?

@Malony111, I hope you're just being sarcastic.

no just speakin the truth, does that hurt?

Hi I was just wondering whether anyone can think of any other time the Sheffield steel industry has been in the media such as the film the Full Monty?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Ellie.

Try the link below. It has quite a lot of short films relating to

Sheffield and the steel industry.

http://www.britishpathe.com

no just speakin the truth, does that hurt?

Ha Ha Ha!!!

It didn't hurt me though after too many years in heavy industry, my bones ache a little now and pushing a line of trolleys would no doubt make them hurt more :mad:

Swissheavy- we have made pressure vessels and other stuff for power generation in the past (in the foundry) but the massive potential for work in the Forge was lost when we didn't get the loan for a 17,000 tonne press, all of that potential it would appear has gone to Japan :loopy:...

BTW, Maloney, I don't know about job snobbery (never heard of that before) but we've had loads of people start at our place that wanted the wages but didn't want to work- there's no future in that and the slackers are weeded out and discarded so I guess that 33 years must mean that I haven't been a slacker :suspect:

Also, I don't reckon working in the steelworks could justify the title 'job snob' as it's just about the bottom of the ladder imo :gag: