Sheffield Steel Industry

@biggsy

I do recall the gov pulled the loan, but let's face it, any new government was going to do that as Labour was just plying for votes before the election. I thought though that it was re-instated much later by Clegg?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-15521707

If Japan Steel is the only other company in the world that can do them, it seems like a good company. But alas, with the Nuclear disaster that nearly happened in Japan with the tsunami, there does seem to be a disliking to nuclear power now anyway...

Crumbs!

I suppose i'd better not go in on monday then :(

33 years at the same steelworks- you would think they would have the decency to tell me that i'm out of a job :mad:

Thanks Angel, i'd better get down to the Labour exchange and see if there's any jobs going at Asda :gag:

Er... is there still a labour exchange at West Street????

Sadly after a liftime of pouring hundreds of thousands of tonnes of molten steel it looks like i'll be pushing trolleys :rolleyes:

No more of these to be produced here in Sheffield :o

Or these

These either

And deffo none of this

Biggsy :cry:

Sorry Angel- I just couldn't resist it :blush:

Pride before a fall mate ……… your time will come.

Malky

( over 30 years in the steel industry)

Ps

Why do clowns still come out with “ there is more steel made in Sheffield than ever”, farmers produce more now than when they used a horse and cart ……….. so what?

Why do clowns still come out with “ there is more steel made in Sheffield than ever”, farmers produce more now than when they used a horse and cart ……….. so what?

So you'd be an utter fool to claim that the farming industry is dead, wouldn't you?

And, equally, you'd be an utter fool to claim that the Sheffield steel industry is dead. It does better than it ever did before.

So you'd be an utter fool to claim that the farming industry is dead, wouldn't you?

And, equally, you'd be an utter fool to claim that the Sheffield steel industry is dead. It does better than it ever did before.

Pardon me for speaking …… did I claim that either industry was dead ……… Could you quantify “It does better than it ever did before” :confused:

Tell it to all the steelworkers in sheff, who are now unemployed?

Or working for agencies at ten bob an hour ( yes I know there is a minimum wage but it still feels like ten bob) ……….. never mind though the industry is doing better than ever. :roll:

Or working for agencies at ten bob an hour ( yes I know there is a minimum wage but it still feels like ten bob) ……….. never mind though the industry is doing better than ever. :roll:

well said, these people will be telling us the coal mining industry is booming next!!

Pardon me for speaking …… did I claim that either industry was dead ……… Could you quantify “It does better than it ever did before” :confused:

You already quantified that in your own post. Why would you need me to repeat what you said yourself?

If they're unemployed, they are not steelworkers are they? Do try to at least be logical.

A disturbingly large number of people seem to think that an industry is only a success if it employs vast numbers of people. They've either forgotten, or are too young to have ever known, that the main reason so many British industries collapsed in the 1970s was exactly because they'd employed far too many people for far too long, instead of modernising their processes. Not until the early 80s were such modernisations forced upon them - and we surely can all remember the pain that involved, as a direct result of not having done it by choice thirty years earlier...

More steel is produced in Sheffield now than ever before.

Utter nonsense. Please provide some figures to back-up this ludicrous claim.

@biggsy

I do recall the gov pulled the loan, but let's face it, any new government was going to do that as Labour was just plying for votes before the election. I thought though that it was re-instated much later by Clegg?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-15521707

If Japan Steel is the only other company in the world that can do them, it seems like a good company. But alas, with the Nuclear disaster that nearly happened in Japan with the tsunami, there does seem to be a disliking to nuclear power now anyway...

The loan that you say was re-instated by the shameless Clegg was to provide funding for an apprenticeship scheme, not as an investment fund for a new forge (and was for £30m not £80m).

If they're unemployed, they are not steelworkers are they? Do try to at least be logical.

A disturbingly large number of people seem to think that an industry is only a success if it employs vast numbers of people. They've either forgotten, or are too young to have ever known, that the main reason so many British industries collapsed in the 1970s was exactly because they'd employed far too many people for far too long, instead of modernising their processes. Not until the early 80s were such modernisations forced upon them - and we surely can all remember the pain that involved, as a direct result of not having done it by choice thirty years earlier...

stop trying to be clever! TYPICAL CONSERVATIVE ANSWER.