Moving to Sheffield on 01/05/2012

Bless you for explaining yourself to a couple of cynics on here! ( you really didnt need to) Some people like to think they are Miss Marple and scrutinise each post and the poster's profile looking for inconsistencies and 'clues' so as to catch them out.

I for one like to take people how i find them; and in your case themanfrom, you seem like a decent chap who is taking a huge risk in order to hopefully better himself. :D

My feelings as well I wish you all the luck in the word it is a big risk but if you don't take it you might always wish that you had.

Don't let the grumps put you off. Sheffield is a lovely city (at least from my experience) I moved here to study in 2005 and graduated in 2008 and have been living here ever since. I regret nothing! Sure there's a bit of a slump with jobs but you'll find that in any city. Sheffield is the greenest and safest largest city in the UK and I find it to be the friendliest too :) If you're looking for a way to meet new people (because being in a new city can be daunting) reply to my post. I'm organising a group bowling session for Saturday 31st and you are more than welcome to come along and meet some new people :) or visit the facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/events/146814282103616/ xxx

Best bet is find a shared house, sign on and get local housing allowance to cover you while you job hunt, sign up at as many agencies as you can and take work where it's offered and you'll soon be on your feet but at least have a safety net. Don't make yourself homeless when at the very least the DWP would cover you the cost of a room/bedsit in a shared place.

Sheffield is a nice city and am sure you can make it work if you're prepared to do the hard work.

I've successfully moved to Manchester, Dublin and London in the past for an adventure with just a couple of hundred in my pocket to cover my first months rent and food, never even needed to claim LHA (housing benefit) in the end, but it's there as a safety net.

To be honest sheffield is a dump, it is like the third world compared to manchester and leeds,

crimes, shootings,stabbings, id move somewhere in the country

Aaaahhh. We'll be sorry to see you go, but Sheffield's loss is somewhere elses gain....

My most recent experience is in customer services. I will also be able to go up with a bit of money and can probably afford to live in B&B's for a little while, but would prefer a hostel as it would prove cheaper. I have been living in a shared house down here since graduating so am not giving much up.

Use your money for a deposit on a bedsit and claim HB until you find your feet - that is cheaper than both a hostel and B&B. Don't go 'down the ladder'... it is hard to get out of the homeless and jobless trap if you do.

Find a place before you move up permanently - you can get a cheap day return to view properties and make the arrangements.

Sign-on and claim HB the first day.

Get a job, any job (you'll be extremely lucky to land any customer service job in the council), the second day.

Good luck.

Best bet is find a shared house, sign on and get local housing allowance to cover you while you job hunt, sign up at as many agencies as you can and take work where it's offered and you'll soon be on your feet but at least have a safety net. Don't make yourself homeless when at the very least the DWP would cover you the cost of a room/bedsit in a shared place.

Yes... as Daniel says!

Hi Tony

Only a slight bit of truth in there, you have missed what is good about this city !

To be honest sheffield is a dump, it is like the third world compared to manchester and leeds,

crimes, shootings,stabbings, id move somewhere in the country

I will wish you the best of luck with your new life in this great city.

Be careful in passing judgement on Sheffield folk when you read this Forum !!

It took me a month longer than expected but I handed in my notice to day and I move to Sheffield on June 6th. Had notification of a PPI payout last week which is gonna make things a lot easier. Thanks for the support.I'll keep you all posted.

why not look in the flats to let/shared houses on this forum? when we moved back here 2 years ago I did that for my eldest son and got him a place to move up to, he also wasnt working at the time and also moved up from devon!

Good Luck with it all.

Good luck mate, ive been here for a while now, and have had the option of moving away, but never wanted to. As far as cities go, its a pretty good one in my opinion, better than Manchester and Leeds for sure.

As far as networking goes, i personally found football a good way of meeting new friends etc, also the forums. There is loads to do here to keep you busy and entertained, transport is pretty good also, its not a mad maze to learn your way around, although if your driving into the city centre, it can get a bit confuddling.

All the best to you sir. I hope you enjoy your adventure!