Moving to Sheffield on 01/05/2012

Hi everyone!

I'm a 44 year old single man who will be completely starting again by moving to Sheffield around about the beginning of May. I originally come from London but have lived in Plymouth for the last 8 years - largely because my post graduation finances did not allow me to leave. I have debated moving for a couple of years now but following a bereavement have decided to give my job up to be closer to family who live in the Leeds area. I've been to Sheffield a few times and have found it to be really friendly.

I'm expecting a bit of a 'WTF??!!' reaction to this: I am moving up without a job because I have found that it is almost impossible to land a new job unless you live in the area; I have also been unsuccessfull at interview stage a couple of times. I'm also faced with having to start my new life in a homeless hostel because of the old no job= nowhere to live vice versa catch 22 but am determined to make a success of the venture.

I know this approach may offend certain sensibilities but I have thought about this for a while and would like to welcome any helpful suggestions people may have about how to generally get started from this fairly bleak starting point. The obvious 'Can't your sister put you up?' won't apply as she is currently up to her neck in postgraduate study. I won't be telling her of my move until I am reasonably settled as it would really worry her. I do know however that she would be thrilled to have me living closer as would my niece and nephew. I have found the South West beautiful in it's appearance but fairly cold in it's relationships and feel that I need to do this now or regret if for the rest of my life.

Please regard this as a serious post because it is.

Thanks.

Why don't you move to Leeds instead?

Hi everyone!

I'm a 44 year old single man who will be completely starting again by moving to Sheffield around about the beginning of May. I originally come from London but have lived in Plymouth for the last 8 years - largely because my post graduation finances did not allow me to leave. I have debated moving for a couple of years now but following a bereavement have decided to give my job up to be closer to family who live in the Leeds area. I've been to Sheffield a few times and have found it to be really friendly.

I'm expecting a bit of a 'WTF??!!' reaction to this: I am moving up without a job because I have found that it is almost impossible to land a new job unless you live in the area; I have also been unsuccessfull at interview stage a couple of times. I'm also faced with having to start my new life in a homeless hostel because of the old no job= nowhere to live vice versa catch 22 but am determined to make a success of the venture.

I know this approach may offend certain sensibilities but I have thought about this for a while and would like to welcome any helpful suggestions people may have about how to generally get started from this fairly bleak starting point. The obvious 'Can't your sister put you up?' won't apply as she is currently up to her neck in postgraduate study. I won't be telling her of my move until I am reasonably settled as it would really worry her. I do know however that she would be thrilled to have me living closer as would my niece and nephew. I have found the South West beautiful in it's appearance but fairly cold in it's relationships and feel that I need to do this now or regret if for the rest of my life.

Please regard this as a serious post because it is.

Thanks.

This is a serious reply. Have you looked into getting a place in a hostel in Sheffield? There are very few direct access places, most have age limits and other criteria for admission. I don't know if this will help, but here's a link to hostel accommodation. https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/housing-services/homelessandhousingoptions/looking-for-a-home-or-needing-to-move/hostels

I am sceptical about this thread. There's a number of things that don't quite add up to me.

A 44 year old 'postgraduate' (they graduated rather late then did they? or are they referring back to 20 years previous?) that hasn't had the finances since graduating (how long ago? last year? 20 years?) to build a life somewhere else. Did they have a house in Plymouth? A job in Plymouth? What kind of work do they do? It doesn't tell us does it? One can only assume they were as 'homeless' there as they are planning to be here.

People's lives do change after a bereavement but it is vague as to why that would be the motivating factor to move somewhere else because we don't understand anything about that relationship. Some of you have summised that it must be a very close personal relationship but there's nothing to suggest that. It would be usual for someone to come out and say, ' I lost my partner/child/whatever' but this person doesn't. Why?

And most of all why Sheffield? Because they've been here "a couple of times and found it friendly?". I've been to Beirut in Lebanon a couple of times and I found that friendly (seriously I have and did) but I wouldn't want to move there. And they say, "to be nearer to my sister" and where's his sister? Leeds! What reason is given for wanting to travel almost 300 miles from Plymouth to Leeds and then stopping 40 mile short of it in Sheffield - a place they've only been to a couple of times?

TBH - I think it's a wind-up. But if it isn't then I wish this person luck because they sure sound down on it - and somehow i don't see any evidence in what's been written, that it is about to change.

I am sceptical about this thread. There's a number of things that don't quite add up to me.

A 44 year old 'postgraduate' (they graduated rather late then did they? or are they referring back to 20 years previous?) that hasn't had the finances since graduating (how long ago? last year? 20 years?) to build a life somewhere else. Did they have a house in Plymouth? A job in Plymouth? What kind of work do they do? It doesn't tell us does it? One can only assume they were as 'homeless' there as they are planning to be here.

People's lives do change after a bereavement but it is vague as to why that would be the motivating factor to move somewhere else because we don't understand anything about that relationship. Some of you have summised that it must be a very close personal relationship but there's nothing to suggest that. It would be usual for someone to come out and say, ' I lost my partner/child/whatever' but this person doesn't. Why?

And most of all why Sheffield? Because they've been here "a couple of times and found it friendly?". I've been to Beirut in Lebanon a couple of times and I found that friendly (seriously I have and did) but I wouldn't want to move there. And they say, "to be nearer to my sister" and where's his sister? Leeds! What reason is given for wanting to travel almost 300 miles from Plymouth to Leeds and then stopping 40 mile short of it in Sheffield - a place they've only been to a couple of times?

TBH - I think it's a wind-up. But if it isn't then I wish this person luck because they sure sound down on it - and somehow i don't see any evidence in what's been written, that it is about to change.

Thank you for all your kind words and encouragement. That in itself is extremely helpful. I have quoted DerbyTup in full as I wish to address all the points they have raised:

I graduated from Plymouth University in 2006 aged 39. I went there as a mature student who thought that University would change their life and new a couple of people down there. Due to having dyspraxia I found it very difficult to work in my final year and ran up debts which had to be paid off. I stayed in Plymouth to try and find work and eventually ended up with the local council. The job provided some stability and security which enabled me to travel between Plymouth and London on a regular basis whilst my Mum's health slowly deteriorated - I did not want to move back to London due to the expense and the feeling that the move would not be permanent. When Mum passed away I decided that I wanted to be closer to my Sister. Things have however become complicated since my Mum died and I have opted for Sheffield as I could never wish for my Sister to put me up, nor would I want to bump into her whilst I am enduring the tricky couple of initial months. I want to move to a nearby city (and believe me when you have often travelled 350 miles to be with someone 40 miles away is vitually on their doorstep.) whilst maintaining complete autonomy and independence. Sometimes relationships run smoother when you're not staying the night and the prospect of being able to pop in for a couple of hours is something we have discussed and suits us both.

My most recent experience is in customer services. I will also be able to go up with a bit of money and can probably afford to live in B&B's for a little while, but would prefer a hostel as it would prove cheaper. I have been living in a shared house down here since graduating so am not giving much up.

I hope this answers the points you have raised, Derby Tup.

Edited by themanfrom