FOUND - German Shepherd Dog in February

Tomkinson

Hi

I have a GSD who was found in Sheffield in February. She was taken into the pound and was due to be put be put to sleep after she'd done her seven days there, but she was offered a space at a rescue and we got her out to safetey.

Unfortunately, the dog was pining and refusing to eat so I have taken her on foster to try to get her back to full health.

She's a lovely dog, quite large for a GSD and with one upright ear and one floppy one. She's black and tan, short coated, mostly black on her back and mostly tan on her face. She's obviously had a good deal of training and walks well on a lead. I don't think she's lived with cats because she's very keen to chase them but shows no aggression. She's friendly with everyone and her health is now improving but she's clearly missing her owner.

This dog is safe and is now legally owned by the rescue. As her foster carer I will make sure she's happy in any home she goes to - or she may end up staying with me if this is where she settles. But I am convinced that she was greatly loved and that she'd be happiest with her old owners.

Do you know of anyone who's missing a dog like this - or maybe you used to see a dog like this in a park but haven't seen her for a while.

Please let me know if you have any information.

Diane

Its so sad to see this isn't it? didn't the pound say how she got to be there?

There is a good reason that the dog is with you...sometimes things happen and mix ups take place but mostly not, I would be very wary looking for her old owner if I were you.

There's a poster up in firthpark in the petcare petshop about a missing gsd says she's about seven, didn't really look as I only glanced at it and didnt look at the dates about when it went missing, probably not very usefull but if someone on here walks past that shop they could maybe find out more

Thank you all for your replies. As far as I know she was just picked up as a stray. And I wouldn't be looking for her old owners if she weren't pining so badly. Most stray dogs will settle with a new owner but I'm not sure about this one. She's hadn't eaten for 17 days - I managed to get her to eat something but she's hardly eaten again today.

And whatever happens to her now is down to the rescue who took her in because they are her legal owners and I know they will make plenty of checks before letting anyone take her.

I don't live in Sheffield so I can't get to the pet shop you mention.

There's a poster up in firthpark in the petcare petshop about a missing gsd says she's about seven, didn't really look as I only glanced at it and didnt look at the dates about when it went missing, probably not very usefull but if someone on here walks past that shop they could maybe find out more

I saw this today, the dog went missing in Jan and seems quite pale in colour especially around the head chest, shoulders etc from its picture, it also has 2 erect ears.

Oh poor honey- it's such a Shepherd thing to just not eat unless the right human tells you that you can do it. Mine doesn't eat when I'm not there, even when she's in her own home with my partner.

What have you tried her on food-wise? An awful lot of Sheps are raw fed, and if she's one of them then she's not likely to touch other food, even if it's something that other dogs go for.

I did E Mail the RSPCA reception@rspcasheffield.org on the 2nd March after I had seen this http://rspcasheffield.homeip.net/cgi-bin/lostandfound.py?lostorfound=lost&species=Dog as I had seen that there was a gsd that matched the description in the pound and that there was no additional contact numbers. I didnt hear anything - I still have the e mail on my files - I think this may be a good place to start though. Ask if they have any update from my e mail - Pm me for more details if required. Fingers crossed that this girl is the same one - Good on you Tomkinson for trying to help her - Nix