South Yorkshire Animal Rescue need people to release hedgehogs this spring.

Can you help. South Yorkshire Animal Rescue need people with safe, slug pellet free gardens which are a safe distance from traffic to release wild hedgehogs which have had to be overwintered at S Y A R in Walkley. If you can help please call SYAR on Sheffiled 01142349656 for further information. All release sites must be checked and passed as safe by S Y A R.

Can you help. South Yorkshire Animal Rescue need people with safe, slug pellet free gardens which are a safe distance from traffic to release wild hedgehogs which have had to be overwintered at S Y A R in Walkley. If you can help please call SYAR on Sheffiled 01142349656 for further information. All release sites must be checked and passed as safe by S Y A R.

why gardens?? can they not be released in fields ?

I will give them a call - we love hedgehogs here and do have a lot of families around but I'm sure there is room for some more.

Yoohoo! You can have my garden if you want :)

It's a little terraced garden but the cats and Molly don't bother the occasional hedgehogs that we have in the garden. Molly pulls the 'head on side and confused' look, but that's quite endearing and she leaves them in peace.

I'll pop up over the next few days to see if you think I'm suitable :)

We get a few hedgehogs in our\garden too, and the cats don't bother them. I love to see them waddling up the drive with their little legs!! I'll give them a ring

Wookie, I can vouch for Rain Rescue's being a great place for hedgehogs, loads of safe places for them, away from roads, plenty of cat food to eat! I can transport them over to them. They would have an safe life with plenty of hay to snuggle into.

sorry i.m a bit thick on this ....do the hedgehogs remain where they are put then ..ie in the garden or would they wander off to pastures new???

I think if you look at SYAR website SueSimm it goes into detail about these lovely little creatures, the gardener's friend. Slug eating machines they are!

Awww I'd love to do this, and I know my little girl would be chuffed, but I live on a main road with only a little patch of grass on concrete on back. There are plenty of fields and woods just a 5 min walk away though, do you think this would be suitable?

Hedgehogs will need a graduated release over a few weeks, they will have all the equipment they need provided I believe, a house to sleep in at night and a portable fenced run to stay in till you are happy they are eating and settling. The fence will then be removed and the house left down for them to sleep for a while if they wish it, they may stay put or they may wander, they can cover some ground so quiet rural areas are best. It takes a few weeks to release properly so you will have to gradually withdraw support from the animal ie enclosure then food then sleeping area till it is back totally living wild as it should, fending for itself. You must be able to stay emotionally detatched from the hog and give as little human handling or intervention as possible. Again for more informatuion call S Y A R, 01142349656, should have stated before, gardens in rural areas are best but each garden and area will be considered on its own merits and level of traffic. Thank you.

We offered to do this for SYAR a couple of years ago. We had to have a home check and our garden was not deemed suitable as there was not the scope for hedgehogs to wander between our garden and those next to ours as they apparently cover quite a wide area when they are hunting for a mate :love: Now bearing in mind our 'big boned' labrador has managed to get into the gardens on either side we were somewhat taken aback by this and left very disappointed. We had to chase for 'feedback' and were told that we could potentially 'house' them during the hibernation period and then never heard from them again.

Very disappointing when two genuine animal lovers were willing and more than able to help in whatever capacity we could.