Does anyone pay for sky protect?

You don't actually own your Sky equipment until you have had had it 12 months, so if it breaks within this time just call sky and it will be repaired/replaced.

I am paying an extra £9.50 a month to protect the equipment and if anything goes wrong... after reading quite a few negatives on various forums about this " insurance".. I am wondering whether to gamble and cancel as that on top of my monthly sky subscription is making it expensive!

It's pointless, last time our remote broke i just rang them up[ and asked them for a new one, they sent one out no questions asked.

Why bother, as you could just cancel and sign up again for a new box?

Have to disagree I am one of the few to have actually benefited from this a tree in a nieghbours property has been a constant problem SKY engineers have been out at least 4 times for my weak signal and lack of programmes because of it I have had 2 boxes new cables and a they have resighted realigned my dish 3 times they have now had to extend it on a stainless pole to the limit allowed before planning permission, all visits and work and materials covered. I asked the installer last time and he reckoned that the last visit would be charged back to SKY for around £400 + vat

I guess I am one of the lucky ones, and have actually benefitted from the insurance, but isnt that the same with all insurances? The minority benefit at the expense of the majority

Have to disagree I am one of the few to have actually benefited from this a tree in a nieghbours property has been a constant problem SKY engineers have been out at least 4 times for my weak signal and lack of programmes because of it I have had 2 boxes new cables and a they have resighted realigned my dish 3 times they have now had to extend it on a stainless pole to the limit allowed before planning permission, all visits and work and materials covered. I asked the installer last time and he reckoned that the last visit would be charged back to SKY for around £400 + vat

I guess I am one of the lucky ones, and have actually benefitted from the insurance, but isnt that the same with all insurances? The minority benefit at the expense of the majority

Fair does there, can't argue with that actually.

and you bet I'll be one of those that happens to as soon as its cancelled!:roll:

Would Sky ever call your bluff?

What difference would it make if they did ?

Just cancel it then put it back on when/if you wish , just the push of a button :cool:

If push comes to shove 2nd hand Sky HD boxes are pretty cheap anyway on ebay... cheaper than what you're shelling out yearly on insurance...

What difference would it make if they did ?

Just cancel it then put it back on when/if you wish , just the push of a button :cool:

None for me as I do not have Sky. I was just wondering if anyone had been in that situation, that is all. :)

Would be pointless cancelling and then to have it put back on ... well, I think it would be. :)

Someone told me if your sky plus box is out of warranty, the call out fee is £66

That's why I took it on 2 yrs ago, had one spot of bother since...:(

If your sky box does break down, phone up Sky customer services.. don't explain to anyone your box has broken down, just ask to be put directly through to cancellations. When they ask why you're leaving Sky TV, just explain.. "my sky box has packed in, so I thought it was a bit pointless paying £30+ a month for something I can't use".

A new Sky box will be on it's way shortly after... and even if they do "call your bluff" go with it.. agree to cancel, I can guarantee within 5 days of your actual termination date you'll get a phone call from somebody at Sky TV who's willing to sacrifice their first born for you to stay...

This is not really the same thing though is it?

It seems to be more of a poor installation rather than equipment failure,so should be their problem.

I joined sky in November last and had to call them 3 times in two months about weak signals.Each time open reach came out and rectified the problem twice.The third time the engineer did the job correctly, it had been an external cable problem.The pavements were dug up 3 times as they had been routed by a tree and the roots had grown round them.The 3rd guy routed the cable away from the tree in an arc around it.job done .As the problem was external no charge. i don't now what that insurance cover as I don't have it.