Is Tesco tanking?

this guy reckons it is

http://www.fool.co.uk/news/investing/2012/01/17/why-im-not-buying-tesco.aspx?source=uoofolrf0010002&source=uoooutppc0040001

Like-for-like sales in the UK for the six weeks to 7 January were down 2.3% on the previous year. Don't forget, a year ago sales had taken a knock because of the terrible weather, so these were pretty poor results.

In contrast, like-for-like sales in the competitor supermarkets Wm Morrison (LSE: MRW) and J Sainsbury (LSE: SBRY) rose.

Tesco's Big Price Drop campaign has turned out to be a Big Price Flop.

I remember the 80s and early 90s when Sainsbury, and not Tesco, was the king of the supermarkets. In 1993, Sainsbury's share price peaked at 577p. 19 years later, it stands at only 283p.

When talking to people about Tesco, I hear too many stories of overcrowded supermarkets, poor customer service and long queues. If the chief executive wants to reinvigorate the business, he has to start with the basics: good service, great deals, an excellent standard of produce and a shopping experience that the customer really enjoys.

Overcrowded supermarkets? That's not a sign of a failing shop.

Actually, I've noticed that the Millhouses Tesco is empty compared to the Millhouses Sainsbury recently and their clientèle look a lot less affluent too, so maybe Tesco do have a problem. It's not a very nice shop and their produce is often low quality, so what do they expect?

this guy reckons it is

http://www.fool.co.uk/news/investing/2012/01/17/why-im-not-buying-tesco.aspx?source=uoofolrf0010002&source=uoooutppc0040001

Like-for-like sales in the UK for the six weeks to 7 January were down 2.3% on the previous year. Don't forget, a year ago sales had taken a knock because of the terrible weather, so these were pretty poor results.

In contrast, like-for-like sales in the competitor supermarkets Wm Morrison (LSE: MRW) and J Sainsbury (LSE: SBRY) rose.

Tesco's Big Price Drop campaign has turned out to be a Big Price Flop.

I remember the 80s and early 90s when Sainsbury, and not Tesco, was the king of the supermarkets. In 1993, Sainsbury's share price peaked at 577p. 19 years later, it stands at only 283p.

When talking to people about Tesco, I hear too many stories of overcrowded supermarkets, poor customer service and long queues. If the chief executive wants to reinvigorate the business, he has to start with the basics: good service, great deals, an excellent standard of produce and a shopping experience that the customer really enjoys.

I'm not sure that I would take much account of what Mr Fool has to say.

Sainsbury has expanded massively over the last 20 years largely funded by rights issues. So to try to compare the share price in 1993 with the share price in 2012 is meaningless unless you know whether the nominal share value is the same. As maket capitalisation is currently based on around 1.8 billion shares it is very probable that the face value has dropped 10 fold and the share price now could be actually higher than 1993.

People want quality. They are never going to find it under any Tesco brand. The concept of quality goes totally against their ethos of making billions from idiots. I hope they die, i really do. Sainsburys i have to say aren't much better.

Waitrose, Morrisons, Iceland and Aldi - i think thats all we need. Something for everyone there. IMO!

People want quality. They are never going to find it under any Tesco brand. The concept of quality goes totally against their ethos of making billions from idiots. I hope they die, i really do. Sainsburys i have to say aren't much better.

Waitrose, Morrisons, Iceland and Aldi - i think thats all we need. Something for everyone there. IMO!

I think if you are prepared to eat anything bought at Iceland you have a very strange conception of what quality means.

I think if you are prepared to eat anything bought at Iceland you have a very strange conception of what quality means.

Not sure where i said "i'm prepared to eat anything bought at Iceland".. Can you show me where i said that?

I'm more a Waitrose man. I just dropped Iceland in there because i believe their frozen stuff is better than Tescos. Do you disagree with that?

Not sure where i said "i'm prepared to eat anything bought at Iceland".. Can you show me where i said that?

I'm more a Waitrose man. I just dropped Iceland in there because i believe their frozen stuff is better than Tescos. Do you disagree with that?

Iceland frozen stuff on the whole is vile but its still better than Tescos rubbish.

Iceland frozen stuff on the whole is vile but its still better than Tescos rubbish

End of ;)

That conveniently takes Iceland and a sizeable portion of the majors' offerring out of the equation.

I am a self-confessed foodie, and whilst -in stereotypical terms- that should make me a Waitrose (and the like) man, Aldi is the one store that has consistently surprised me over the years.

E.g. wines - I have thought this for years, Aldi must pay their wine buyers extremely well, for these not to defect over to the majors. I'd sooner buy an 'unknown' wine (to try/test) from Aldi than anywhere else.

The life expectancy of their veg remains hopeless, however.

You should probably learn to read you own posts.

"Waitrose, Morrisons, Iceland and Aldi - i think thats all we need. Something for everyone there. IMO!"

Not much point shopping there if you aren't prepared to eat the crap you buy.

No idea re comparison. I don't eat frozen food.

Edited by Uptowngirl