Advice please, we may have been sold a dodgy car..

Waldo

Hello,

My mom bought a car from a garage recently (about 3 weeks ago), and we just got the following letter in the post, from the DVLA:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3858786/car_scan_1.jpg

Not really sure what it means, and my mom is a bit worried and would like to return the car.

Any thoughts? What does it mean, and what are our rights and options?

Also, this application form was with the letter:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3858786/car_scan_2.jpg

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

it looks to me you have bought a damaged repairable . this in itself might not mean much is wrong with the car . but on the other hand if the car has been involved in a collision something more serious could be wrong with the car (bent chassis) etc. last time i bought one i had to take it to west bar police station to have it checked out but this may not be the case nowadays . anyway good luck with it and i hope its just a trivial matter

as far as i am aware , and im sure somebody will correct me if i am wrong , a dealer or garage is obliged to tell you if the vehicle has been subject to a cat c insurance claim , which in this case the car obviously has ,the vic check procedure is very quick and easy but a car that has been recorded as damage repaired will always be worth less than an equivelant undamaged vehicle

My old Volvo was written off by insurance when someone broke into it as they damaged a couple of windows, 2 door panels and dented the roof and broke the light cluster. All it really needed was a new window but it would still have needed a VIC check to make sure it was OK. The closest place for the check is Doncaster.

For what ever reason it looks like that car might have been written off, due to damage or just financial reasons. I would get back in touch with the garage if I was you. Was it cheap?

Looks like you've bought a cat C write off as cat D doesn't need a VIC check and cat B & A aren't allowed back on the road, I'm not saying the car is dangerous, it could be flood damaged but you should have paid under market value and the dealer/seller should have notified you.

Thanks all, much apprecieate your comments.

They didn't mention any of this when my mom bought it. What's the legal position there? Who should we report it to?

Contact Comsumer Direct they will give you all the correct information you require.

Consumer Direct on 08454 04 05 06

Thanks all, much apprecieate your comments.

They didn't mention any of this when my mom bought it. What's the legal position there? Who should we report it to?

Go back to the garage and tell them, give them photocopies of the DVLA letter and tell them you want a refund or some money back.

If they get funny then go to trading standards.

did your mom ask if it had been in any accidents? a dealer isnt going to tell you its been a write off if you dont ask. a vic check will cost you money so id be asking the garage you got it from to pay for it.

The VIC takes around 20 minutes to complete and involves comparing the details on the DVLA vehicle record against the car presented. The VIC is a check of identity, it doesn’t look at the quality of the repair or confirm roadworthiness.

Archived