We don't want Tesco

Why do people start threads and not come back to answer peoples questions, well annoying.

Soz! My OP was just a letter that the Star published, with no reference to where the hell the Tesco Express referred to was going to be!

The Halal Butchers on Spital Hill is closed and the shop is empty. Could be a refit but I very much doubt it.

Maybe their customers have realised what Halal butchers meat is, whereas Tesco stick to the "rules".

Angel.

Maybe their customers have realised what Halal butchers meat is, whereas Tesco stick to the "rules".

Angel.

Tesco stock Halal and Kosher, and you should see what their branches in China sell- alive, or killed on demand

Tesco stock Halal and Kosher, and you should see what their branches in China sell- alive, or killed on demand

you mean, meat comes from animals?? and they have to kill them to get it?

i'm sure that's not right. certainly not the lovely, cuddly, kind meat that i eat, sold in tescos etc..... it can't be, or i'd have seen people rallying against, like they do for chinese / halal / kosher meat.....

;)

What's the competition argument?

I stand by what I said earlier. If the local people don't want a Tesco, they won't use it, so local stores will not be harmed.

But in the real world, people will use the Tescbury's, the local shop will close, and the locals will berate the former shop keeper for closing the shop for years to come, despite being told what you said prior to and after the closure

we have a sainsbury's and two co-ops within walking distance....we could do with a tesco...i love there blue and white carrier bags...

I'm sorry, but I just don't think you represent the majority of people here. Local shops are great when they offer something different, this works well when the small business offers something the supermarket can't, like truly local produce for example.

The sad fact is that just because a business is small and local, this doesn't mean it deserves to survive. Some local shops just don't cut it, offer no choice and are very expensive to boot.

I think you'll have a hard time tempting people away from their multi-buys.