Folder sharing windows 7/XP

llamatron

aaarghhh:confused:

I have spent ages trying to set up a shared folder between 3 computers running XP and windows 7, that can only be accessed by the 3 computers as opposed to everyone on our network. I can't do it!! Either I and everyone on the network can get to the folders or noone can. I have been trying to work this out on google but am failing miserably, someone:help:

I remember a mate trying to share folders between 7 and XP when 7 first came out. It was a right ball ache as far as I remember. Chances are they haven't made it any simpler. In all honesty, if you want to do it correctly, I would suggest you run a linux box as your file server. Permissions and groups are far easier to handle.

Windows 7 Home Premium doesn't support network shared folders.. It also doesn't support network domains...

Click COMPARE button on this PAGE.

That would explain a lot. Having to pay to simply share files is crap.

To the OP, get linux on a machine that you would like as your server. It will work much better.

I remember a mate trying to share folders between 7 and XP when 7 first came out. It was a right ball ache as far as I remember. Chances are they haven't made it any simpler. In all honesty, if you want to do it correctly, I would suggest you run a linux box as your file server. Permissions and groups are far easier to handle.

You just spoke french there!:hihi:

Whats a linux box?

That would explain a lot. Having to pay to simply share files is crap.

To the OP, get linux on a machine that you would like as your server. It will work much better.

ah reread this now I understand, it sounds like an external hard drive will be easier than this rigmerole. Bill gates strikes again:loopy:

The more time I spend with microsoft the more I love my beautiful mac!:love:

Enable sharing on the pc you want to access files on, then if you go to run and type \\ then the ip address of the pc you want to access. Press enter and you shoule be able to access the files on the other system, and you should also be able to copy them to your hdd.

This is how is used to access files on my xp machines from my windows 7 laptop, so it should work.

I remember a mate trying to share folders between 7 and XP when 7 first came out. It was a right ball ache as far as I remember.

I just right click on the folder to be shared, go to "Share with"... set up rights and you're off.

Never had a problem, though admittedly I've only setup shares for everyone rather than specific users as per the OP's post.

Works for me anyways....

There used to be an issue with windows 7 requiring a higher level of security by default than windows xp could provide. I had to configure a number of 7 machines to accept the 48bit key from xp (or something along those lines). Not sure if that's still an issue today though.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

instructions here.

But I'm not sure about only allowing access to certain WXP machines, never bothered to try that at home.