Boycott workfare in Sheffield

Ok put yourself in the emplyers shoes for one moment. Would you employ person Y who has been on the dole for over a year with no new experiences. Or person X whose been on the dole for a month and prior to that worked in a similar role to the one he or she is applying for now.

You'd employ the one with the most experience obviously (well I'd hope you would).

Therefore we need to give these long term unemployed people skills necessary to put on their CV and get them off the dole. This workfare is one very good way of doing this. It give them confidence experience and hones skills.

I'd take person Z

Free, paid by JSA, leaving X and Y still out of work

I'd take person Z

Free, paid by JSA, leaving X and Y still out of work

Good this will mean person Z gains valuble experience to put on his or her CV with potentially a job at the end of it. If not he will have valuble skills to offer in an interview or application process.

Therefore we need to give these long term unemployed people skills necessary to put on their CV and get them off the dole. This workfare is one very good way of doing this. It give them confidence experience and hones skills.

It's punishment and stigmatisation. You can train people and give them skills while claiming benefit. If you want people to gain experience in work, it's only fair they should be paid the going rate, or an apprenticeship rate. Working for benefit is breaking minimum wage law and exploiting vulnerable people.

Good this will mean person Z gains valuble experience to put on his or her CV with potentially a job at the end of it. If not he will have valuble skills to offer in an interview or application process.

..and becomes person X

A new person Z gets the next position

• 3 months later...

My brother in law was out of work for 2yrs or more, did workfare at B&Q applied for a job some weeks later not at B&Q and got the job .Sometimes just by showing your willing to work at the bottom of the scale shows you have character, workfare works only for those that want to get off the the gravy train.

'Glad to see these clowns have given up in Sheffield intimidating both staff and customers.'

Been very successful elsewhere though, Holland and Barrett have just pulled out of workfare due to (entirely legal) pressure from them and others...

Single person, over 25 on Jobseeker's Allowance (per year):

JSA £71.00 p/wk x 52wks = £ 3692.00

approx Rent (paid by local authority) £ 5000.00

approx Council Tax (paid by local authority) £ 750.00

total Annual net income £ 9442.00

Wage required to achieve net figure (approx) £ 12,000.00

Plus: free prescriptions, free dental & optical + other concessions

Edited by Dragonfall

• 4 weeks later...

Ruling expected on whether workfare breaches human rights

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ruling-expected-on-whether-graduate-forced-to-work-for-free-at-poundland-had-human-rights-breached-8009277.html

I'd be surprised if the judge rules against DWP. There's simply too much at stake going forward for the government, the other policial parties and their corporate buddies.