Old gas lamp lighters

• 11 months later...
:PCan you remember the old gaslamp lighters with their long poles? For a threepenny bit he would knock on my dads bedroom window to get him up so that he could go fishing.:

I used to live on the springs . The mother of one of the lads used to go round cleaning and lighting the lamps . I can remember that just before they installed the automatic timers . She then used to go round just cleaning and maintaining them . That was in the late 40's and early 50's . I think her name was Mrs. Beaumont . Oh! and yes , We used to blow them out and slide down them .

I was born in the early 40's and remember the lamplighter lighting the one outside our house at the top of Daniel Hill St. He didn't actually light the thing as such, but pulled down on a pivoted lever, which had a round hole at either end, to light it, and then in the morning would pull the other side to shut it off.

Here is a link to a 1933 photo on the picturesheffield.com site showing a "lamplighter and the last of Sheffield hand-lit lamps".

I think you are correct, by the fifties they were not strictly lamp lighters. The lamps had a pilot light and it was a case of turning the tap on with a pole. In fact, on thinking about, they had a time clock to turn them on and off. This entailed a weekly visit to wind and check the clock and clean the glass.

---------- Post added 18-02-2013 at 13:31 ----------

Can anyone remember the lamps which ran on sewer gas?

Don't think they ran on sewer gas, but were there to create a through draft to ventilate the sewer and prevent the build-up of methane. There are still a few about, but in a sadly neglected state.

Mrs Bullivant (Winifred) the lady you refer to as the gas lamp lighter/cleaner did live on Treaten Street off Shireland Lane) did run the Horse & Jockey for a while with her husband (ex-lorry driver) but his name was BILL BULLIVANT (Jack was his brother - husband to Nellie Bullivant) Jack being one of the longest serving Club Secretarys of Attercliffe Non-Pots, Laycock Sports Club, Attercliffe Radical & Foundry Workers

Cheers M'Dears