Bus lane cameras

2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

The cameras are automatic.

They record a video clip when a vehicle enters their detection zone.  The clip is automatically uploaded to the back office system.

The video clip has to be reviewed by a person to confirm that a contravention has occurred. Only then can a penalty be issued.

Fair enough. I doubt it's a bus lane camera down there though. Would be an odd place to put it.  Also a "flash" would suggest a picture was taken rather than a video clip. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Fair enough. I doubt it's a bus lane camera down there though. Would be an odd place to put it.  Also a "flash" would suggest a picture was taken rather than a video clip. 

It was a very sunny day today. Maybe it was a random reflection of sunlight or something? 

3 hours ago, srtaylo0 said:

Hello 

This morning I was driving down abbeydale road and turning left up Springfield road. There is a bus lane that ends quite close to the left turn at the traffic lights. 

I made the mistake of getting into the left lane too early. And got snapped by what I think is a new camera. 

Behind me - at least two other cars did the same - please learn from our mistakes and don’t get in the left lane too early. 

will post if I get a ticket.

What makes you think you were “snapped”?

Bus lane cameras record  video, they don’t flash.

Where was the “camera” located? If it’s the device on top of the traffic signal pole, that is a video detector for the operation of the signals. It isn’t a camera.

I noticed the camera pointing at me as I drove through. No flash. I don’t know if it snapped me 😀

also noted this morning they are also positioned further down abbeydale road near tescos. Again pointing at bus lane. They look to be mobile ones that are bolted to existing street furniture. The one I first noticed was bolted to the ‘end of bus lane sign’

they are defo not the detectors you mention. 

Edited by srtaylo0

4 hours ago, srtaylo0 said:

I noticed the camera pointing at me as I drove through. No flash. I don’t know if it snapped me 😀

also noted this morning they are also positioned further down abbeydale road near tescos. Again pointing at bus lane. They look to be mobile ones that are bolted to existing street furniture. The one I first noticed was bolted to the ‘end of bus lane sign’

they are defo not the detectors you mention. 

They sound like traffic survey cameras.

Enforcement cameras need a power supply and I’d expect them to be mounted higher up than the post that has the bus lane end sign on it.

The bus lane in question is quite short and I would not expect it to be enforced by camera. 

In Sheffield, cameras  are only placed at locations where bus operators have reported buses being delayed by abuse of a bus lane.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

In Sheffield, cameras  are only placed at locations where bus operators have reported buses being delayed by abuse of a bus lane.

Could cameras be placed in places where buses regularly block up the junctions by attempting to proceed through when their exit rout isn't clear. The Langsett/Bradfield Road junction is a good'n. 

23 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Could cameras be placed in places where buses regularly block up the junctions by attempting to proceed through when their exit rout isn't clear. The Langsett/Bradfield Road junction is a good'n. 

Yes. Last I saw,  the council were looking to introduce camera enforcement of box junctions and banned turns at several locations. That wasn’t one of them as I recall.