The Lowdrop Pub

My father (chippy Clarke) worked for Jonas & Colver, in the rolling mills. The mill he worked in was directly behind the 'low drop'(Crown). He told me the lad over the wall, was how it got its nick name, but I still can't think which low wall someone could get over, the wall in the mill which was adjacent to the pub must have been 20ft high with a roof resting on it..still, a good story.

HI GEOTOMi used to work at j+colvers yre dad was my roller in 8inch mill.nd i usede to fetch ale from the low drop when harold was landlord.

• 2 years later...

OMG So excited and sad to see this picture of the Lowdrop at Attercliffe off faraday road. Also known as The Crown Inn. This was my aunt and uncles pub and the place where I spent every weekend of my childhood, and also every school holiday. They were Belle and Harold Pugh. The steel workers would bring bottles and jugs in to the off licence to fill up with beer to take back to the foundries. As a child I played pool with the workers and watched some of the men play cribbage. The happiest days of my life.

there was indeed a pub of that name.it was down stevenson rd somewhere on the backstreets on the way to the midland pub.it was nestled in between the steel works.i think the road was called east coast road

My Gran had the corner shop, top of Stevenson road on the left corner of attercliffe road.

After a bit of hunting I have found this picture. The Crown Inn ( Low Drop) can be seen on the left of the photograph... Clicky

This Google streetview from a similar angle Link

The right of the picture is Arther Lee and Sons, Crown works, Bessemer Road. The Low Drop (Crown) was on the corner of Bessemer & Faraday. At that time Faraday Road was the dirtiest street in Sheffield with a massive daily dust fall from the works. My car was covered at the end of each shift with black dust and yellow dust from the chemical works. Did the paintwork and our chest the world of good. We needed a pint to wash it down.

• 8 months later...
OMG So excited and sad to see this picture of the Lowdrop at Attercliffe off faraday road. Also known as The Crown Inn. This was my aunt and uncles pub and the place where I spent every weekend of my childhood, and also every school holiday. They were Belle and Harold Pugh. The steel workers would bring bottles and jugs in to the off licence to fill up with beer to take back to the foundries. As a child I played pool with the workers and watched some of the men play cribbage. The happiest days of my life.

You must be my cousin Antid? They are also my Aunty & Uncle. Yep spent many a good time there. I see Aunty Belle Every Saturday. Who are you?

• 11 months later...

Hi- I am writing a book about Sheffield pubs do you have any pictures you could share?? pm or email me sheffieldpubs@outlook.com