Advice please on turning from Rutland Road to Penistone Road

ukheman

Why? How can picking whichever lane you fancy be right? The left lane on Rutland Road is for the left lane on Penistone Road, the right lane on Rutland Road is for the middle lane on Penistone Road. If you want to take the right turn from the third lane on Penistone Road, get in the right hand lane on Rutland Road, join the middle lane on Penistone Road and then indicate to move the third lane. Too many people veer from the left hand lane on Rutland Road, without indicating, into the middle lane on Penistone Road - if you hit someone who has gone from the right hand lane on Rutland Road to the middle lane on Penistone Road by changing lanes, your insurance company will find against you as they consider the person changing lanes as usually at fault.

Spot on bob.

Why? How can picking whichever lane you fancy be right? The left lane on Rutland Road is for the left lane on Penistone Road, the right lane on Rutland Road is for the middle lane on Penistone Road. If you want to take the right turn from the third lane on Penistone Road, get in the right hand lane on Rutland Road, join the middle lane on Penistone Road and then indicate to move the third lane.

Most people wanting the third lane on Penistone Road go straight into it from the right hand lane one Rutland Road. Which is probably why it seems reasonable to go into the middle land on Penistone from the left lane on Rutland.

---------- Post added 20-11-2017 at 14:16 ----------

There's no markings or signs to indicate who has priority over which lane, so don't drive like a pillock and use caution.

A simple sign would sort it all out.

Since there's two schools of thought on this thread, and both sides are adamant that they're right, there's clearly an opportunity for clarification!

Why? How can picking whichever lane you fancy be right? The left lane on Rutland Road is for the left lane on Penistone Road, the right lane on Rutland Road is for the middle lane on Penistone Road. If you want to take the right turn from the third lane on Penistone Road, get in the right hand lane on Rutland Road, join the middle lane on Penistone Road and then indicate to move the third lane. Too many people veer from the left hand lane on Rutland Road, without indicating, into the middle lane on Penistone Road - if you hit someone who has gone from the right hand lane on Rutland Road to the middle lane on Penistone Road by changing lanes, your insurance company will find against you as they consider the person changing lanes as usually at fault.

See the next post i made, that will tell you why, its because the road markings say so.

Spot on bob.

The road markings on Penistone Road disagree.

There's no markings or signs to indicate who has priority over which lane, so don't drive like a pillock and use caution.

A simple sign would sort it all out.

The road markings on Penistone Road show that the inside and middle lane should be treated as one for traffic joining from the inside lane of Rutland Road.

However you can't see them too easily from the junction, they should put a few white lines down.

See the next post i made, that will tell you why, its because the road markings say so.

The road markings on Penistone Road disagree.

The road markings on Penistone Road show that the inside and middle lane should be treated as one for traffic joining from the inside lane of Rutland Road.

However you can't see them too easily from the junction, they should put a few white lines down.

Do you say that because the line separating lanes 1 & 2 is absent at the junction?

---------- Post added 20-11-2017 at 19:03 ----------

Most people wanting the third lane on Penistone Road go straight into it from the right hand lane one Rutland Road. Which is probably why it seems reasonable to go into the middle land on Penistone from the left lane on Rutland.

I think part of the issue is that people in the left lane on Rutland Road take the corner too fast and realise they can't hold it in the left lane so drift into the middle lane. It's tighter than it looks.

Do you say that because the line separating lanes 1 & 2 is absent at the junction?

---------- Post added 20-11-2017 at 19:03 ----------

I think part of the issue is that people in the left lane on Rutland Road take the corner too fast and realise they can't hold it in the left lane so drift into the middle lane. It's tighter than it looks.

Yes, at that part on Penistone road lane one and two are not seperated by markings, where as lane 3 is marked. so in effect for people joining from Rutland road there is only two marked lanes. So drivers on Rutland road in the outside lane must go to the outside lane on Penistone Road and those in the inside lane of Rutland Road can go anywhere except the outside lane.

Plus its a major busy road junction if it was designed to work the way you suggest the majority of drivers would need to be in the outside lane of Rutland road, which is only a short section of double lane road, this would reduce traffic flow and the available road space causing further tailbacks up Rutland Road.

Where is PLanner1 when you need him:)

Markings aren't there on Google Maps, have they been painted recently?

Yes, at that part on Penistone road lane one and two are not seperated by markings, where as lane 3 is marked. so in effect for people joining from Rutland road there is only two marked lanes. So drivers on Rutland road in the outside lane must go to the outside lane on Penistone Road and those in the inside lane of Rutland Road can go anywhere except the outside lane.

Plus its a major busy road junction if it was designed to work the way you suggest the majority of drivers would need to be in the outside lane of Rutland road, which is only a short section of double lane road, this would reduce traffic flow and the available road space causing further tailbacks up Rutland Road.

Where is PLanner1 when you need him:)

I see what you mean, but why do the markings stop the other side of the junction, at the lights on Penistone Road? If you look on google maps, there are two trucks stopped at those lights - as there are no lane markings on the road in front of them, by the same principle could they both not cut each other up on the basis that it's one big lane? I think the markings are ambiguous - you can tell that the road has been remade there at some point, with the combination of SCC and Amey I wouldn't be amazed if someone just forgot to repaint the lines.

Edit: Well, I've emailed SCC to get clarification, hopefully they willl give me a useful response and I can post it on here.

Edited by Bob Arctor

The markings are there

The key is the LACK of a marking separating the nearside two lanes to make it clear which lane traffic entering from Rutlend Way should take.

It would be a confusing junction if the road was marked in 3 lanes all the way across

If you look on google maps, there are two trucks stopped at those lights - as there are no lane markings on the road in front of them, by the same principle could they both not cut each other up on the basis that it's one big lane?

Well anyone could cut anyone up if they choose to road markings or not. Its only a short break in road markings for a junction which is pretty common, and for drivers on Penistone Road the road layout is not changing, it was already 3 lanes and continues to be three lanes - nothing to cause any confusion there.

Squiggs beat me to it but yes the markings are on Penistone road and yes you can see them on google streetview.

I am surprised that a few white dashes have not been put down to show drivers on Rutland Road where they can go, then again some people would ignore them anyway/not understand what they mean and then still argue they were correct when its pointed out to them.:hihi: