Cuts in benefits - lots of people will be in big trouble

There is no evidence to support that claim.

If people couldn't afford to have large families and there was no help forthcoming from the state what would they do? How would they pay for food and clothing?

As for evidence, there are many many people who only have one or two children because that is all they can afford. Just ask them.

• 4 weeks later...

single parent on income support with 3 children (weekly rate):

personal allowance £ 65.00

dependant’s allowance (x3 kids) £ 57.00 x 3

family premium £ 22.00

total £ 258.00 per week

x 52 weeks £ 13,416.00 per year

plus:

council tax (paid by local authority) £ 800.00 (p.a)

rent (paid by local authority) £ 4,680.00 (p.a)

total net equivalent income: £ 18,896.00 per year

plus:

free dental/optical treatment & free prescriptions

Can I point out that when the Government speaks about the number of people claiming benefits they are not just talking about unemployment and disability benefits.

They include Old Age Pensions, Family Allowance, and Tax Credits and a number of minor benefits in the numbers, which inflates the total considerably.

I suspect many of the people who are against benefits posting on threads like this, are in fact also in receipt of 'benefits' without realising it includes them in the figures.

By inflating the figures by every means possible, this Government's agenda is to turn public opinion against a vulnerable group of people who cannot fight back, so that they can cut these lifelines with public approval.

Can I suggest they instead go for the tax evaders who have cost the exchequer £10.9 billion this year, which far exceeds the benefit bill and has been conventiently written off.

The people who suffer most are young single people who live alone, and are often the most vulnerable. They have about £55 a week to buy food and supplies, electricity, gas, transport, water rates, and everything else.

I don't see headlines about their plight...

200 years since Charles Dickens was born, he would clearly recognise the era we are living and which is going to get worse, especially the division of deserving/undeserving poor which so many think they can pontificate(and judge) on...

What garbage - poverty in Dicken's time was something totally different to the way poverty in the UK is perceived now. We have a Welfare State (unlike his time) which guarantees a bare minimum to live on - so an individual has at least, a right to a roof over their head, food to eat, & free health care.

Can I suggest they instead go for the tax evaders who have cost the exchequer £10.9 billion this year, which far exceeds the benefit bill and has been conventiently written off.

Can I suggest that the benefits bill is far grater than 10 billion...I would think it's getting on for 15 times more...around 150 billion..

Edited by truman

The people who suffer most are young single people who live alone, and are often the most vulnerable. They have about £55 a week to buy food and supplies, electricity, gas, transport, water rates, and everything else.

I don't see headlines about their plight...

Also young married working couples, I know of a quite a few couples that have to borrow from their grandparents because they have more money than they do, most parents & grandparents are more than pleased to do so, young couples with children have heating bills to pay in the winter too.

"Cuts in benefits - lots of people will be in big trouble "

I get the feeling that some people would take great delight in seeing that happen.

Only heartless Daily Mail reading scum who hate people who claim a solitary penny of their "precious" taxes... :rant::loopy: