Wanting to buy a classic car but what?

Insurance companies will do 'classic' policies for cars younger than that, my mk2 golf is 20 this year and could have a classic policy but unfortunately many of these policies stipulate that the car must be garaged and I don't have one :(

There is no age stipulation regarding "classic cars" for insurance purposes. Some cars like the Morgan 3 wheeler are considered as "classic" from new because no one would buy one for everyday transport.

Classic Car insurance isn't an excuse to buy an old car and have cheap insurance. To get a classic policy you need to own another car and have that insured on a regular policy.

So the classic policy is just that. You agree to a mileage and the policy will cover you for that. You cannot cancel after 3 months either. You simply buy cover for mileage and if you want to cancel that's tough luck.

The only concession is cars built before Dec 31st 1972 are free from road tax. It used to be when they got to 25 years old but our old friend Gordon Brown put a stop to that.

Insurance companies will do 'classic' policies for cars younger than that, my mk2 golf is 20 this year and could have a classic policy but unfortunately many of these policies stipulate that the car must be garaged and I don't have one :(

Officially it is 21 years old for classic car insurance although some insurance company's will grant classic car insurance a bit earlier ,but the classic car insurance is very restrictive on millage and were you can store them I have both on my cars a classic and a normal insurance most of the time my classic cars stand in the garage but I also run a 22 year old shogun that I use for towing my trailer and caravan that covers a lot of miles a year including on the continent.

I found cheap 'classic' policies for my car when it was 18, but as I said couldn't take them out because I don't have a garage. Mileage is no concern as my golf is not a daily drive and it's already on a limited mileage policy. Never heard of a classic policy that required you to have a separate full policy as well - I certainly found ones that didn't need this.

Some insurers such as adrian flux do 'cherished' type rather than classic policies which cover much newer cars.

I don't think anyone would see cheap classic policies as an 'excuse', it's just a bit of a perk if you can get it :confused:

It'd halve my insurance if only I had a garage.

I have my 1995 MGF on Classic Car insurance with Lancaster, they insure some 'modern classics'.

I only have the one car, its not garaged and I'm insured fully comp for £440 :)

With a regular insurer it would cost nearly £2K, so I'm happy; I got the car I wanted for ages and its in my favourite colour :D

I found cheap 'classic' policies for my car when it was 18, but as I said couldn't take them out because I don't have a garage. Mileage is no concern as my golf is not a daily drive and it's already on a limited mileage policy. Never heard of a classic policy that required you to have a separate full policy as well - I certainly found ones that didn't need this.

Some insurers such as adrian flux do 'cherished' type rather than classic policies which cover much newer cars.

I don't think anyone would see cheap classic policies as an 'excuse', it's just a bit of a perk if you can get it :confused:

It'd halve my insurance if only I had a garage.

There seems to be an awful lot of blurring of the edges here.

I have cars on true classic car policies and limited mileage, but all insisted that I had another MAIN car. The policy price ranges from around £100-£200 depending on mileage and agreed value.

I've had a V8 Aston Martin on a policy for £120, a 3 litre BMW (agreed value £35K) for the same and a 1929 Riley for around £100 so a 1995 MGF at £440 doesn't exactly seem a bargain. I pay just over half that for my main car which is a "big spanner".

I have my 1995 MGF on Classic Car insurance with Lancaster, they insure some 'modern classics'.

I only have the one car, its not garaged and I'm insured fully comp for £440 :)

With a regular insurer it would cost nearly £2K, so I'm happy; I got the car I wanted for ages and its in my favourite colour :D

That's good to know, I'll have a look at them next time round if garaging isn't a requirement!

Shytot I don't know what you mean, I'm counting a 'classic' policy as being anything that calls itself a classic car policy :confused:

I've found ones for around £200, agreed value, limited mileage but they just required a garage. 'Bargain' is all relative to how much you pay for your policy now surely - in my case policies that call themselves 'classic' are around half what I pay now in my research so far.

Officially it is 21 years old for classic car insurance although some insurance company's will grant classic car insurance a bit earlier

Where's this 'officially' come from? :suspect:

My MG ZT is insured as a classic car, on a classic car policy.

The insurance company knows the make/model/year built etc.. I am limited on mileage; 6000/annum but I can increase this if I wish, there's a fair increase on premium above 9k though.

The policy is about half the cost of a standard policy.. I don't acrue any NCB, but any that I've already accrued is attached and held at it's current level, should I decide to move policy.

Edit.. btw, with the same insurer as Emily..