Halfords Ripping off customers?

Don't batteries come with manufacturer warranties? I wouldn't pay a premium for a longer warranty on a battery, I doubt you could find the receipt in 3 years time if it came with a 4 year warranty.

Might be good value for the tools though, if you use them a lot and if they honour that warranty without quibbling.

Possibly so - i do know that the ones from my local car spares are 1 year and then you have the hassle of proving fault. Certain brands and models are only stocked by Halfords so returning them is straight forward.

tbh car and leisure batteries attract the same prices for the same quality and brand in my recent experience.

Most of the weekend mechanics i talk to on tf and Landrover sites genuinely use the pro range and have had no issues with replacement,even if the part itself wasn't really at fault.

To pay the advertised price for a genuine item is not a rip off.It is a free choice to buy or not.If the item is a fake or not as advertised then it is a rip off.

Then I choose to not buy. When I can get it at half the price elsewhere. That's my choice! But I suspect you're just arguing semantics in the wording. Fair enough!

Halfords Drake House are a bunch of wallies, I don't have a clue how people are vetted to work there.

A couple of years ago I went in for a new bike chain for my MTB. The chain was advertised from their shop online for £9.99. Once there it was the usual case of "oh no you don't want this one, you want that one" £25. Riiiight. THEN he tried talking me into buying virtually a whole new gearing setup saying "the old chain would have worn the cogs out so they can't guarantee the new chain" wow another £85 on top. £110 for a £10 chain.

I told him to sell me the £10 chain and stop being an idiot.

Good as new.

I will only goto Halfords for items that require them no skill, anti-freeze, driving gloves, that coffee machine in the door way.

You realise that the gears do wear with time and that if you were suffering chain skipping then a new chain wouldn't necessarily be the solution... They were trying to up-sell you, but they weren't being stupid about it.

I shop at Halfords frequently.

Guess which brand will still be trading to honour the 3 year warranty offered.

I can get antifreeze from poundland,but it costs me £3 to go and fetch it.

Still half the price of the cheapest one at Halfords, £7.99 for a litre, I bought some last week.

I shop at Halfords frequently.

Guess which brand will still be trading to honour the 3 year warranty offered.

I can get antifreeze from poundland,but it costs me £3 to go and fetch it.

You want a 3 year guarantee on anti-freeze?

Still half the price of the cheapest one at Halfords, £7.99 for a litre, I bought some last week.

Exactly my point. I noticed the windscreen wash was nearly £12 for (I think) half a gallon, or whatever it is in litres. That's crazy!

Isn't there a compatibility thing with antifreeze?

Isn't there a compatibility thing with antifreeze?
Yes, the later long life higher corrosion protection types will not mix with others.

It's been made fool proofe though, just match the colour - Blue/yellow/green/red(pink).

Blue's cheap, red's expensive.

I needed some windscreen wipers last weekend. So off I trundle down to Halfords to get some. I needed one long one and one short one, to suit my windscreen. Halfords own brand ones were all they had. The long one wasn't far short of £20, and the short one just over £10. Wow I thought, they're pricey. I was with a friend and he suggested going to a local motorspares shop to see if they were any cheaper.

The shop was run (I think) by asians. A very helpful fella in there asked the make and model of car and the year and produced some Bosch wipers. The long one was £10 and the short one was £4 odd. While I was there I bought some antifreeze, some windscreen wash, and two batteries for my car key fobs, and the lot came to £21

It's highly unlikely I'll be shopping at Halfords again!

Rip off or what?

You would have been better just buying the rubbers and cutting them to size and sliding them in the old wipers that would have cost about a fiver from any motor shop.

Halford used to be rubbish at one time but recently they have had a bit of a shake up,and some of there products are not bad at all there tools are reasonably priced and of good quality they have also recently started selling car paints they are still a bit pricey though.

You would have been better just buying the rubbers and cutting them to size and sliding them in the old wipers that would have cost about a fiver from any motor shop.

As far as I know, they don't 'just' sell the rubbers any more! See earlier posts!