Why is Newfield school closed on Friday 2nd Dec 2011

I understand that school is canceled Wed due to the strike but received a letter saying they are off Friday as well, anyone know why

It might be because schools have an extra training day to book in due to the queens jubilee next year, dont ask me why. Anyway all schools in Sheffield were able to select an extra day when they will be closed to pupils.

And if she pops her clogs in between Friday and June 5th will teachers be on pay back time?

There is a topic on general dissusions about same thing

I didn't ring by the time I got the letter no one was there to answer the phone, seems a bit much when they are off Wed back Thurs then off Frid it's a nightmare when you work full time

Have you really read the letter properly? What is the date of the letter?

These training days make me laugh . The teachers must have at least 15 weeks a year to do the training when the schools are shut ,but have to give kids yet more time off to do it instead. Pathetic.

Is this the school which is closed to allow for a staff member's funeral?

The school I mentioned in the other thread isn't in Sheffield.

Its the schools golden jubilee year, although you would have thought it would have been open for pupils to celebrate, unless they've invited ex pupils & the press etc to attend instead

It might be because schools have an extra training day to book in due to the queens jubilee next year, dont ask me why. Anyway all schools in Sheffield were able to select an extra day when they will be closed to pupils.

I dont think its a training day, on my sons letter it said it was an extra bank holiday and school could choose when they took it, in our case it was today. Dont understand why theyve taken it this year tho, and not the year of the actual Jubilee :)

The Queen's golden jubilee next year falls during the school holidays. Everyone's been given the day off, so Sheffield Council have said they'd like schools to pick a day during this term to close instead, as far as I'm aware.