Memories of Fulwood Cottage Homes

cottam

Thankyou for location of homes .

The reason for my visit is to take my 87 yr old Great Aunt. who was put in the home with her 3 sisters and brother in 1925.

She did indeed go to Sunday school at Fulwood

They were all there till age of 15.then went on to make thier way in life ..My Gt Aunt is a wonderful lady and has such memories,which I feel privledged to have shared ...We are heading there tomorrow so hoping for good weather .

Dave

Thankyou for location of homes .

The reason for my visit is to take my 87 yr old Great Aunt. who was put in the home with her 3 sisters and brother in 1925.

She did indeed go to Sunday school at Fulwood

They were all there till age of 15.then went on to make thier way in life ..My Gt Aunt is a wonderful lady and has such memories,which I feel privledged to have shared ...We are heading there tomorrow so hoping for good weather .

Dave

when people talk about fullwood church are we talking the little chapel next to the school ,I attended, I seem to recall all C of Es were bused off somewhere & yet elsewhere on this thread it is mentioned seeing two by two kids marching off to church,so what church did you all go to & where was it:confused::confused::confused:

Evening all,

Well, i'm a current resident of 'Fulwood Cottage Homes', now Moorside.

We often hear many stories of resisdents from the past, and a few years ago for the houses 100 year aniversary we held a little garden party for the residents past and present - it was a lovely lunch.

But back on track, I have a small book which might be of some use to you. It is 'for the Love of Children, A Story of the poor children of sheffield and of Fulwood Cottage Homes' by Marjorie P. Dunn, ISBN 0-9513824-0-3, printed by 'Print and Design Factory Sheffield'.

Unfortunatly I will out tomorrow (grrr work lol) but I will copy the pages relavent to the homes and leave them in a safe place for you (I will PM you the location). These should be interesting to you both and may give you some more information.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have, I will try and answer as best I can.

I wish you and your great Aunt a safe trip up to sheffield, and hope you enjoy your time here :-)

Sedge

Evening Sedge and all

Sedge ,thankyou for the copies..We had a wonderful day .Aunty was in house 19 which is now number 42 ..we had agood look around and have a few photos.. Then went to the school.'Moorfield school' which in late twenties was girls only ..Then on to Christchurch Fulwood had a look inside and around the churchyard...

Weather was kind and we finished off with tea and a sticky bun .. All safely home ..

Dave

Evening all,

We often hear many stories of resisdents from the past, and a few years ago for the houses 100 year aniversary we held a little garden party for the residents past and present - it was a lovely lunch.

But back on track, I have a small book which might be of some use to you. It is 'for the Love of Children, A Story of the poor children of sheffield and of Fulwood Cottage Homes' by Marjorie P. Dunn, ISBN 0-9513824-0-3, printed by 'Print and Design Factory Sheffield'.

Unfortunatly I will out tomorrow (grrr work lol) but I will copy the pages relavent to the homes and leave them in a safe place for you (I will PM you the location). These should be interesting to you both and may give you some more information.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have, I will try and answer as best I can.

I wish you and your great Aunt a safe trip up to sheffield, and hope you enjoy your time here :-)

Sedge

I've just read this topic.

Can I just thank you Sedge for going out of your way to help these people, it's the sort of gesture I expect of Sheffield people and I'm glad to see I'm not disappointed

Evening all,

Sedge

Hello I was in no 17 and would love to see the pictures of F,C.H. I now live in Australia but always on the forum Cheers

Hi

Could anyone give me the present address of Fulwood Cottage Homes as was (I realise they are now private houses ) I am looking to visit the site and local Fulwood church .

Thankyou

Dave

Hi There .May i ask what your Aunties name is/was as i was in there from 1948 -1955.may know her .all the best you obviously care very much for her.

I lived on rochester drive in the 60s early 70s,we as kids referred to this place as 'The naughty girls home' A couple of my school friends mothers were house matrons on there,if memory serves me correctly the two friends who lived on there shared their homes with two or three of the 'naughty girls!!' Would imagine in this PC society they would be 'Young disadvanteged females with behavioral problems!!' rather than a more apt description of 'young lasses that dont want to behave themselves!!' I do recall they had a meeting hall on there which I think doubled up as youth club,place of worship,function room. My brother was in a band in the late 60s and played there a couple of times.

Hello Yes it was all you say except the naughty girls bit. Most of us kids in there came from broken homes or disadvantaged people.I was in there for a few years and didnt come across any Naughty girls just little kids being abused,read threads on orphanages and you can read all about it.very hard times.