Memories of Fulwood Cottage Homes

She once hit me on the head with a cast iron frying pan and it broke,i often wondered what was wrong with me ha ha:confused:

Yes i think he did go to blyth .I can remember so well going to marsk by the sea,it was the only time i was allowed to play .I used to sing in the concerts

Mune i forgot to ask if you knew frank Skinner,he was somewhere near you.also terry battle he was in number2 nick name Shazzam.I was his girl friend therefore was mary marvel:hihi:

Glen , I was in #2 with the tender Ms Bull I left in 46 V.J. night, is this before your time.

Am I wrong about stalag 17 being in the girl section, it was in 46 ,1-9 boys 10 was holding 11-20 was girls,On pain of death we was never let cross the grass. My sister was across the green but I could never visit.Maybe later on more boys than girls arrived and so converted.

Oops my 1st mistake of the year I'm thinking Glen was a boys name not short for Glenda, sorry for that but fm now can we call you Ms Glenda

Originally posted by glen

She once hit me on the head with a cast iron frying pan and it broke

Your head or the frying pan?

I often wondered what was wrong with me

Sure explains a lot to me! :hihi:

Originally posted by flyer

I/m sorry you guys I just can't have this, you souldn't be giving all this credit to Barnett ,Millner in #3 was much more nasty, she would beat the kids around the head senseless.And of course we can't forget the tender mercy of Field or my personal favorit M Bull with her long term cruelty.I still think my old idea is best ,we all gather at their grave site's and talk this over at great length I will suppy the many case's of beer needed for a discusion of this type.

We'll be there! :thumbsup:

Actually, we could start a "FCH Rogues Gallery". My 'numero uno' would be Miss Herring who had a penchant for punching in the face. It didn't take much to provoke her either ...just chattering like kids do when not supposed to be would set her off on a tangent. She would start snorting like a crazed bull, impatiently paw the ground with her foot, lower her head, and come charging at us. Then she would lay into us leaving wounded bodies all over the place. Well . . . maybe not quite.

Really though, just the mere sight of her would make me cringe. Even on the rare occasions when she would smile it more resembled a ..."So, you think this is a smile, eh? ...well just you wait until later and YOU'LL see whether it was a smile or not!"

By the way, her favorite expression for vicious punishment was "Paul Thompson" as in ..."You're about to get some Paul Thompson!" Then she'd beat you to a pulp. Does anyone know where this expression came from or did Miss Herring just make it up, perhaps? Oohh ...she wasn't just mean ...she made up nonsensical expressions too!

Y'know, I've come to the conclusion that 'cruelty to children' was one of the prerequisites for the job of house mother at FCH. So many house mothers seem to have been VERY good at their jobs too, it would seem! But isn't it good that we have the fortitude to have moved on and are now able to laugh about it? Um, I'm assuming that we're laughing about it . . .? :rant: How many of you are up to suing the home for compensation? :nod: Just kidding!

Sorry flyer I did register as Glenda but they also asked my nick name!!Yes it was a bit before my time I/ we went in there in 1949.Alot of those kids seemed to have been in there for years.:) :) :wave: :

Hi all you f.c.h.kids,I will tell you the full story.One night I was in bed ,Miss Barnett was getting ready for her weekend off and i heard her start to walk downstairs in her stocking feet. she started falling downstairs,a couple of us kids were awake and were thrilled to bits,we were clapping thinking of the consequences,we heard her slide all the way down bumping on every step,nobody got up to help her ,we were thinking of maybe broken legs or something,not so lucky,she got up and walked into the dining room much to uor disgust,needless to say she was back at work on Wednesday morning,bad luck eh!!

Hi Glenda, On the village school closing around 43 a few of us was the 1st to go Greystones school(most went Pamona? not right spelling) I remember it being quite an event 1st time we talked to girls & sat with them in class, quite mind blowing.

Hi all you ex f.c.h.kids.I would like to thank all of you.To be able to talk about the bad experiences that went on in that horrible place is helping me to finally move on.I have only just joined the forum, before that i had nobody to talk about it ,therfore i have kept it bottled up inside for years.I wonder if anyone knew what really went on inside those cottages besides us.It has left such bad scars,scars that never heal.How can these so called foster mothers be allowed to be so cruel to us kids that couldnt help being in there.I was eleven at the time and half the time couldnt understand why we were being punished.I had two brothers in there also,even at that age i used to worry about them and what was happening to them.A couple of years ago i watched a movie called After The Promise and sobbed the whole way through as all those memories came flooding back,i havent been able to watch it a second time as yet.so a big thanks to all of you.I feel now that i can talk about it and even have a laugh. :wave: