Memories of Fulwood Cottage Homes

Hi Glen, When did you go to Hunter’s Bar School? I was there from 1935 to 1941, then won a scholarship to High Storrs Grammar. If you knew the Acaster twins, Man Gee Wong (who was really from Pomona Street but got moved to Hunter’s Bar during the war), Raymond Neill, Pat Bray, Michael Mower, Peter (I think) Hogg, Audrey Rimmington, Patricia Taylor, Edgar Wallace, the Robinson twins and teachers Mr Cooper, head Thomas Bingham, infants head Miss Glossop, and a Mr Midgeley, let me know via Expats and I’ll give you my e-mail.

hello peter,I dont know any of those names im afraid.I left Greystones for Hunters bar around 1951 or 1952 then left after junior 4 class which was Miss Giles.I am now living on the Gold Coast Australia,if you watch the Indy car races in October about 15 minutes from there.My brother Rex Fearnehough went to Hunters bar ,that would be a liitle bit before me i think. nice to hear from you:clap:

I'm trying to trace a lost uncle of mine (Fred taylor ) who was put into fulwood cottage homes @ 1945 when he would have been abt 1 yr old but not having much luck with tracking him down so I wondered if anyone out there could tell me more about the home in general - conditions etc and any memories of other children they were in with , I realise this may be a difficult subject for some people so you could always send me a discreet p.m and your anonymity will be respected , many thanks

Richard :thumbsup:

Hello again! Type Fulwood Cottage Homes into the "Search" box (on the left) - there are still some threads that you may find interesting...! I'll send the other info as soon as I can.... (haven't forgotten!)

J.

I was at Lydgate Lane Junior school 1947-1954. Several boys in my year lived at the Cottage Homes. One, in my class, passed to go to High Storrs but couldn't go because of inability to pay for uniform. Have contacted him via Friends Reunited and he's done fine. Living in America when I contacted him 4 years ago. He's not listed on the site any more.

Hi all, my dad was one of the Lindley brothers in the home in the 40's would love to hear from anyone who remembers them. Or any info on what life was like there. dad won't talk about it!

Hi all, my dad was one of the Lindley brothers in the home in the 40's would love to hear from anyone who remembers them. Or any info on what life was like there. dad won't talk about it!

yes penster sent P.m 1940 would be right,ask dad if he was in #2

To be fair one as to say that when old men get to be in their 60-70s(myself included) all the testosterone as long since left the body so old men turn into old women & like old solders never want to talk about unpleasant things in their life ,as a young man i never would let anything bother me its only in later yrs one can get a little morose (if thats the right word) mind you i still wish there was a hell so all those evil house witch's could rot in it:mad::mad::mad:

Im not sure where my mum was but it may have been here, along with her siblings in the middle 1940s. Gower family. Anyone remember them?

i remember a gordon gower when i was in there about 1952 in cottage 1...i think he died a few years back...he would have been about 68 now

i remember a gordon gower when i was in there about 1952 in cottage 1...i think he died a few years back...he would have been about 68 now

Oh my goodness, seriously? He was my uncle.

Can you tell me anything you remember please

Thanks