Does Sheffield have an identity problem?

Green Web

How do my comments make Sheffield narrow minded exactly?. Sheffield doesn't need an airport to have an identity and it's residents are largely friendlier than a lot of the places i have worked in the UK.

They are friendly due to the village atmosphere,and having an airport does place a city on the map.Sheffield is the largest city in Europe without an airport,and the largest city in the world without a television station.Even Chinese cities have local TV stations.As I said it is a village really.

They are friendly due to the village atmosphere,and having an airport does place a city on the map.Sheffield is the largest city in Europe without an airport,and the largest city in the world without a television station.Even Chinese cities have local TV stations.As I said it is a village really.

Placing the city on the map and having an identity are totally different things. So your biggest gripes about the city is that it doesn't have an airport or it's own TV channel and the people are friendly?

There are many beautiful places in Sheffield and a lot off history you don't really have to look that far to find it! Sheffield is made up off villages that expanded and created Sheffield! We span 7 hills! Did you know that Sheffield has more green areas and park space than built up areas and that more students make this there home than any other big city! You can be in the country 20 mins max from anywhere and even walk to it from the city center! If you feel that Sheffield people arnt friendly you arnt looking in the right places!

How do my comments make Sheffield narrow minded exactly?. Sheffield doesn't need an airport to have an identity and it's residents are largely friendlier than a lot of the places i have worked in the UK.

I did not mention being narrow-minded;my term was parochial which has a subtley different meaning and is more generous in tone.

First of all Sheffield is far too small and sleepy to be classed as a real city, and since the decline of the steel works and mines we don't have distinct identity anymore, unlike other ex industrial cities which have managed to reinvent themselves and offer alternatives.

Sheffield isn't too small to be classed as a city, it has over half a million people living here.

I've lived in both Leeds and Manchester and Sheffield in my experience is by far the safest and friendliest.

Sure there are challenges of deindustrialisation - but I'd hardly say that Leeds or Manchester offer alternatives. Like every city they offer more of the same.

How are we light years behind, light years are a measure of distance not time :confused:

There was some councillor on the local news a while ago saying we should strive to be more like leeds and manchester. I really hope that doesn't happen. they are dirty 'orrible cities with a few skyscrpers, and horrible new buildings to try and hide that fact.

Sheffield's a beautifull city which should be expanded outwards to the old industrial areas rather than upwards.

It depends where you're comparing it to. If you're talking city centres then I'm afraid Liverpool completely outshines Sheffield. Superb shopping, museums, waterfront, and a fantastic collection of pubs. It doesn't matter how many years I'll live here, commuting to work on a ferry is amazing!

If you're comparing areas, again there are bad in both cities.

If you're comparing people, then yes, Scousers are horrible!

I take offence at that comment (as a scouser who moved to Sheffield last year to study), as you can't say something like that in regards to all scousers - have you met everyone that is scouse?

I think every major city in the Uk has pros and cons to it, and as someone has mentioned it all depends what you want from the city you live in. I love Liverpool and always will as i grew up there but having finished my course I have chosen to stay her (for now at least) as Sheffield has something which i like too. I think its a decent city centre and then there is meadowhell (sorry hall) for shopping when its wet!! Public transport here is better than Liverpool - with the trams and buses in and around the city.

I have found when in Sheffield that people are friendly - but not everyone, I have had some instances when I have had rather scary looks from someone just because I smiled in their direction. I remember walking out of one of the many coffee shops in town and saw someone with a newborn baby and i did what most females would do and said 'ahhh' as i went past to get a 'what was she looking at?' reaction from the mother to her friend!! But then this is the same in Liverpool - I have had many conversations with strangers at the bus stop when I was in Liverpool, but again have had other instances where i wanted to run in the opposite direction! :|