Best local places for fossils?

Just finished an intro to geology and am interested to know if there are any local sites that are good for fossils.

Also best places to try some rock identification

Cheers

As far as I know, the local area is mainly millstone grit and outcrops of manganesian limestone and sandstone. I think the best area for fossil hunting is along the East Yorkshire coast (Robin Hoods Bay, Cayton Bay etc). I've found lots of amonites just lying on the beach in those areas.

I have seen a fossilised oyster bed within the carboniferous limestone in Carlswark Cavern in the Peak District. You'll need to be proficient in caving though to see it. You'll find the remains of many small fossils in the limestone cliffs of the Peak District.

Also, if you venture to the Upper Goyt Valley outside of Buxton, that is an excellent spot for fossil hunting as there are a few places where the local coal measures are exposed on the surface.

The Monsal area is good, so is the area above Castleton, though be careful on those steep slopes.

More info here.

Good advice from Anarchon and stupid head there.

All I would add is that it pays to just keep your eyes open wherever you are. One of my favourite objects is a fossil cockle shell (both halves, closed) that I spotted in a neighbours garden rockery when I was a child -couple of taps with a hammer and it came away really cleanly. Nice.

Try Pindale quarry (disused) near Castleton or any of the dolomitic crags around Brassington, there is also a large amount of dolomitic around Conisborough.

It is best to hunt for fossils on beaches or in disused quarries or mining areas, rather than protected rock formations/areas in National Park lands, where it is illegal to actually damage rocks and in some cases to even remove loose stones. Do check local byelaws and if looking in old mines/quarries/spoiltips, don't go alone and do take care.

One more recommendation is the Bakewell Rock Exchange, one of the biggest geological specimen fairs held in the UK. It's a good day out and even if you don't buy anything you'll see more than is on display at most museums.

The Rock Exchange - 8th and 9th October, Lady Manners School, Shutts Lane, Bakewell, Derbyshire. 10.30am - 4.30pm.