Verbal abuse of cyclists

I cycle between Walkley & Heeley on a daily basis, and, every now & again, am subject to verbal abuse. Now, I'm not referring to abuse from motorists, over perceived infractions of the law and so forth, but from pedestrians, who seem to think cyclists are fair game for yelling at.

Last Thursday evening, an individual, who seemed to be part of a gang, put himself in not inconsiderable danger by running into the road simply to lunge at me and scream in my ear. This happened at the bottom of Mushroom Lane, which seems to be a popular location for this, let's face it, bizarre activity. This, along with taunts, insults and, sometimes, just strange, guttural noises, has happened to me on half a dozen occasions this year; and it's not the result of riding on pavements or other anti-social activity, just cycling along the highways of Sheffield minding my own business.

The people who do this seem to limit this behaviour towards cyclists- they're not the familiar gentlemen of the street who shout at motorised traffic in their own inimitable & endearing way, nor do they appear to be haranguing other pedestrians in a similar manner.

Is this a sport that is somehow peculiar to Sheffield, or does it also take place in other parts of the country? Are there clubs one can join to meet fellow participants, or nationally recognised point-tallying systems which reward technical & artistic merit?

Frankly, I'm mystified. Can anyone enlighten me?

I cycle between Walkley & Heeley on a daily basis, and, every now & again, am subject to verbal abuse. Now, I'm not referring to abuse from motorists, over perceived infractions of the law and so forth, but from pedestrians, who seem to think cyclists are fair game for yelling at.

Last Thursday evening, an individual, who seemed to be part of a gang, put himself in not inconsiderable danger by running into the road simply to lunge at me and scream in my ear. This happened at the bottom of Mushroom Lane, which seems to be a popular location for this, let's face it, bizarre activity. This, along with taunts, insults and, sometimes, just strange, guttural noises, has happened to me on half a dozen occasions this year; and it's not the result of riding on pavements or other anti-social activity, just cycling along the highways of Sheffield minding my own business.

The people who do this seem to limit this behaviour towards cyclists- they're not the familiar gentlemen of the street who shout at motorised traffic in their own inimitable & endearing way, nor do they appear to be haranguing other pedestrians in a similar manner.

Is this a sport that is somehow peculiar to Sheffield, or does it also take place in other parts of the country? Are there clubs one can join to meet fellow participants, or nationally recognised point-tallying systems which reward technical & artistic merit?

Yes they are clearly a sandwich short of a picnic and have been dragged not brought up:hihi::hihi::hihi::love:

Get an

and get your own back on them ;)

I haven't used a bike regularly for the last couple of years but I recall being stationary at lights once when a kids ran out from his gang of mates with a half eaten burger.

I think it's because they perceive the cyclist as vulnerable, an easy target for their child-like rage against the world.

Are you saying they should be in a cage at Chester zoo?:hihi:

just thank your lucky stars it was verbal abuse, over the years i have been dropped kick from my bike, deliberately run off the road, and on two occasion have been hit from behind by a guy hanging out of a car overtaking me wielding a golf club!!. on no occasion have the men and they were all men, have actually tried to duff me up afterwards when i was on the floor dazed. strange behaviour indeed. ohh and only one thing i can think that i might have angered people, on the drop kick incident i was cycling on the pavement at night, my front lamp was really dim and i thought it best for safety to take to the pavement

ohh and only one thing i can think that i might have angered people, on the drop kick incident i was cycling on the pavement at night, my front lamp was really dim and i thought it best for safety to take to the pavement

So far as I know, that would still be illegal even if you were correct about it being the safest option. (A lot of laws don't have a "but if it's safer not to" exception built into them, it would be up to the police to determine if you were justified in your actions because of safety concerns and they might well say you were.)

Even so, if it annoyed someone that you were riding on the pavement, there is no justification for forcibly removing you from it.

yes you are right, cycling on the pavement at any time is illegal, makes you think how much money they could make if they started to issue fines for that. mind you i bet that parents with children would be in uproar. stating that for children to cycle on busy dangerous ill maintained roads was the only LEGAL way that they could enjoy a cycle in public. ohh except the parks maybe?

yes you are right, cycling on the pavement at any time is illegal, makes you think how much money they could make if they started to issue fines for that. mind you i bet that parents with children would be in uproar. stating that for children to cycle on busy dangerous ill maintained roads was the only LEGAL way that they could enjoy a cycle in public. ohh except the parks maybe?

I believe that the law making it illegal to ride on a pavement, applies to people over seven. Or seven and over...

But for a family who lives on City Road to be told their nine-year-old daughter must cycle on the road, I can see that causing quite a problem.

whew i didnt realize that it was at that early age!, even 14 - 15 years old cant ride on the roads properly. i see them all the time dodging on and off the roads. making car drivers brake sharply. veering out into the middle of the road causing mayhem all around them.

Never had a problem like that in 30 years of biking it-perhaps you should reconsider wearing the ceremonial outfit assigned by the council?

Never experienced it whilst cycling, however, running is a different matter. The amount of abuse I have received whilst I've been out running is unreal. Anyone would think that I was harming people with my choice of exercise.