Violent riots and looting in UK (part 2)

Amazing that we have people on here justifying the rioters by their whining about the government.

Don't you people have anything to say to the communities blighted by the rioters other than your party political rubbish and justifying the unjustifiable?

who's justifying the rioters?

There are jobs in London. Not high paying, but there are a few. Like in curreys, jd sports ........well there was.

I work in 4 and 5 star hotels in London from time to time. I see Bangladeshi, poles, litunanian, French and loads more. Don't see many English though, some but not many. In some hotels it's blatant favouritism - ie management will hire their own but what about the others ?

If you have a problem with moderation then i suggest you take it to the helpdesk - discussing it on thread will not benefit you any.

I think it does. If you go to your employer and demand a raise and there's few other jobs around they'll tell you to stick it. If you can walk into another job tomorrow they're more likely to feel they need to give you the raise.

possibly, but then again if someone moves on because they can get a higher wage elsewhere then employ someone who is currently working somewhere else for lower pay.

i used to work in a part of the IT industry which was rather incestuous, there were half a dozen local companies in the same field and a large number of staff used to move round between them each time getting higher pay.

they didn't necessarily get treated any better though, some of these companies were rather unpleasant to work for.

Shareholder companies have a duty to maximise value for shareholders and if that means hocking jobs overseas then that's what they'll do.

but if the shareholders turn round and say that the "value" for them includes that their employees are treated correctly?

i think my analogy of the stereotypical victorian mill owner and joseph rowntree holds.

anyway, a happy well treated worker works far better than a miserable poorly treated worker.

I agree with you that jobs requiring very basic skills have mostly disappeared - I think that's a big problem and makes large numbers of people basically unemployable. That's why the CBI keep complaining that employers are struggling to find people capable of doing the jobs advertised. Successive governments have failed us on education.

it's all very well the CBI, whining about the lack of skilled workers, the businesses they represent have largely failed to train and develop the staff they already have.

What is equality? What are the essentials for a good quality of life?

Clean clothes, a place to live, good diet, safety, healthcare, education, some entertainment...

Did any of those involved not have any of those?

What is equality? What are the essentials for a good quality of life?

Clean clothes, a place to live, good diet, safety, healthcare, education, some entertainment...

Did any of those involved not have any of those?

they probably had most of them

the thing is that rampant consumerism has convinced people that they need the latest smartphone, £100 trainers, a 42inch plasma screen in order to have a good life.

the thing is that rampant consumerism has convinced people that they need the latest smartphone, £100 trainers, a 42inch plasma screen in order to have a good life.

But they don't, so that isn't an excuse... (not saying that your saying that)

I doubt it has, rap music and ghetto cutture has more liekly but even if it has then lets as a nation correct their erroneous views.

No education (it was available free but you could not even be bothered to turn up) and a bad attitude means what you need to aspire to working your ass oiff for minimum wage for probably your entire life.

Millions of poor Britons have done this before, don't think you're special just because you own/nicked a bandanda

But they don't, so that isn't an excuse... (not saying that your saying that)

yes and no :)

the no is that even the poorest in this country has an abundance when compared to people in most of the rest of the world and for most that their parents and grandparents ever had.

the yes is that our consumerism has driven people to need these material things in order to feel that they are successful.