Moral question - to wreck a marriage or not

What do I do with the love letters?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What do I do with the love letters?

• Send them to their new house
    • Send them to the wife
    • Send them to the husband
    • Destroy them
    • Just show me the results

Revenge does not have to be wrought, the universe will sort that out for you.

I suggest that you have a wee bonfire and burn the letters sending the energy back from whence it came. I did that with a nasty letter from my dad, right after my wedding. It felt like the right thing to do.

IMO Max, the letters are not yours to destroy.

Is there any way you can contact the husband to let him know that you have found the box, and asking him what he would like you to do (maybe by letter)?

It could be that this man put the box in the loft years ago, and had forgotten about it, but he may want it back if he remembers in the future. So, if I was in your situation, I'd try to contact him. It would not be for me to make judgements, and decide his fate.

Originally posted by Ann_x

IMO Max, the letters are not yours to destroy.

Is there any way you can contact the husband to let him know that you have found the box, and asking him what he would like you to do (maybe by letter)?

It could be that this man put the box in the loft years ago, and had forgotten about it, but he may want it back if he remembers in the future. So, if I was in your situation, I'd try to contact him. It would not be for me to make judgements, and decide his fate.

This is exactly what I said, earlier in the thread

StarSparkle

I think I'd leave well alone. I'd leave them where they are, if they're not taking up too much space.

What the eye doesnt see the heart doesnt grieve over. Maybe not always the case but in this one - I think so.

:thumbsup:

Could you get in touch with the man and ask him if he wants them? Do you have a phone number for them, otherwise his wife might query what's in the letter?

Odd that he's left them though. Would've thought he would have come across them when clearing his loft to move:suspect:

there is no emotional or financial gain to be had by potentially wrecking someones life/marriage. put them back & cherish them.

dont forget he will know where he left them.!!

Originally posted by StarSparkle

This is exactly what I said, earlier in the thread

StarSparkle

Oops....that'll teach me to read the thread from start to finish....lol

:blush:

Originally posted by Dragon

Gabbleratcht - get a life.

I dunno if I even spelled that properly. What sort of a name is that anyhow?

Anyhow - I shall not bother asking you how you would like it if the shoe was on the other foot.

Dragon

Oh come on Dragon, was obviously a joke. That's why we have smilies!

I voted 'destroy them' BTW.

My forum name should be Gabble Ratchet but can't get enough letters in! Do a google on it, you will get lots of interesting stuff on it.

And, BTW, having a go at someones forum name is a bit radical isn't it!

Got out of the wrong side of the bed? ;)

These letters arent your property and if the author/owner turned up out of the blue some day to ask for them I doubt if he'd believe you didnt know about the existence of these letters. A discreet call to the husband to let him know that you think he may have left some items in the loft wouldnt go astray.

I certainly wouldnt go through the solicitor because they are nothing if not totally indiscreet and may think nothing of leaving a message with the wife, however hard you impress upon them not to do so.

Believe me he hasnt forgotten about those letters and is probably sweating by now over his stupidity at having forgotten them. For all we know he could be reading this thread now and sweating about the advice given and your eventual decision. :D

He may even be so grateful when you bring up the issue of their deceptions over the house you bought off them that he may try to square things up with you, albeit discreetly.

Anyhow that's what I think I would do.

If he was married when he received the letters and they are not from his wife - he's obviously pretty stupid for keeping them.

And, as he didn't tell the 'whole truth' about features of the house, he's obviously not a 'nice' person either.

He maybe left them because it is a part of his life that is now in the past but wasn't able to get rid of them without his wife finding out about them. I'd leave it six months and if by then he hasn't asked for them to be returned then i'd bin/burn them.

Interestingly, at this point the poll shows 29/29 for destroying them against sending them to one or other of the couple. As this was just a bit of fun (I have no intention of being so evil as to do anything with them) it's nice to see that half the respondents were in favour of leaving well alone. On the other side of the coin, it's worrying that the other half would like to see the marriage of total strangers being put to the test.