Park hotel remove sky tv

Just found out that The Park Hotel is removing sky tv from the pub, surely this is the final nail in the coffin of a once great pub.

In my mind there is nothing to stop it being turned into a full restaurant, which it appears is what the brewery and landlord wants

Maybe it wants to attract a different type of customer.

Maybe it wants to attract a different type of customer.

Maybe but what about the customers its got was only 10 years ago it was in the top3 biggest grossing pubs in Sheffield, Iknow for a fact that it was the best performing pub in south yorkshire when the brewery sold it a couple of years ago, it was only sold as a perk for buying 5 other pubs that was running at a loss

It could just be a cost cutting exercise by the new pub co / landlord / manager. Sky TV for a pub the size of the Park will probably cost in excess of £1k per month.

The pub is more of a place to go for food now than go for a drink, if that's what they want to concentrate on then there probably isn't going to be a need for sky.

Just found out that The Park Hotel is removing sky tv from the pub, surely this is the final nail in the coffin of a once great pub.

So in order to be a great pub you have to have Sky? There are loads of great pubs in Sheffield which are great partly because they don't have Sky. Things like the drink, prices, amosphere, food, customers, etc, also come into it.

Sky TV for a pub the size of the Park will probably cost in excess of £1k per month.

You could probably double that.

The Landlady in our local said that 70% of their income came from food so maybe that’s where this pub wants to concentrate its business.

they ought to take some of the barstaff with them as well !!! half of em dont know there is two bars in the place !!!!:hihi:

In my mind there is nothing to stop it being turned into a full restaurant, which it appears is what the brewery and landlord wants

Think it through and you've answered your own post. The only thing that would stop it being turned into a full restaurant would be if diners had to put up with a load of brain dead numpties grunting at the TV screen, as if they thought they could change the score of some crappy football match. Unless of course it has 24 hour coverage of Jedward, in which case the same rules apply.

I certainly wouldn't go in any pub that had Sky or any kind of forced music for that matter.

If you need to watch telly, stay at home and do everyone a favour. :)

we had a meal in there a weeks ago well if you can call it a meal it was a thursday night lot off people in the slop that came to my table when i tride to complain i was told by a staff member it wasent his problem the food used to be great in there not no more and the staff could do with some training to

Some pub's have to decide between having Sky, or bringing the price of drink down.

A pub I go in has had Sky taken out, and now all drinks have gone down, which makes it alot better, to enjoy a cheaper night out.

There are still 5 channels on TV that show mostly sports anyway.

we had a meal in there a weeks ago well if you can call it a meal it was a thursday night lot off people in the slop that came to my table when i tride to complain i was told by a staff member it wasent his problem the food used to be great in there not no more and the staff could do with some training to

Same problem here, basic things on the menu missing, not nice at all, we did complain and they offered us a free drink to compensate, but its like most chain grub pubs nowadays, all microwaved meals already cooked and frozen, Weatherspoons is the same....

Same problem here, basic things on the menu missing, not nice at all, we did complain and they offered us a free drink to compensate, but its like most chain grub pubs nowadays, all microwaved meals already cooked and frozen, Weatherspoons is the same....
eyup lofty, maybe you should teach their barstaff how to pull a decent pint aswel & teach them some manners, theyre nowt like you in your day matey :thumbsup: