Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

i used to go to colley remington rd left 1976.

A sad end for Colley School when arsonists burnt it down in March 2006.

Photo by Simon Cutts.

:(

I don't know Patrick but many have moved down to the Gate Inn and Travellers with a possible quick 'un at The Railway.

At home we have a foto of my elder brother outside the Travellers, boarding a coach to Wembley, for the 1966 FA Cup Final. It had a large front car park in those pre dual-carriageway days

i was born on monteney road and went to monteney infants and juniors,then went on to colley school,my grandparents lived on dugdale road where i spent a lot of my childhood.I had lots of friends there and i remember the club trips from colley club my next door nieghbour took us a few times always remember the crisps and bottle of pop and im sure we used to get a bit of money also.as i grew up o got a little job in the chip shop in ecclesfield it was called micks fisheries it was round the corner from the tankard pub.i drove past colley school at the weekend what a sad state it looks now,its going to become a special school ive heard.And st peters all gone now and to be replaiced by houses i spent many happy days playing on the field there as we lived opposit, playing cricket and in the winter sliding down the banks.yes im proud to have grown up in parson cross.

i remember it also.can you remember think is was called hillfords at sheffield lane top?

I had forgotten alot of those :hihi: shops but remember them well now ive seen the names.i used to go to the chippi at lunch times from colley and can remember the lads getting half a uncut loaf and taking middle out and filling it with chips can anyone else remember that?:

Next was Smiths Hardware, that is now the betting shop.

Leeches is now some sort of Citizens Advice Centre.

My dad's family were the second to move onto the new Parson Cross estate, they moved onto Helliwell Crescent and he often told me that he had to walk through muddy fields to get to work, as the rest of the estate was being built round them.

They moved from Apple street at neepsend, as they were clearing the slums at the time.

you will find old photo's on the Sheffield librarys site.

I started school aged 5 at Southey Green and my mother would walk us across the fields to Ecclesfield just before the estate was built but part of it was built in 1934-5. There was a stream we had to cross and I daudled messing about with the frog spawn and the rest of the family just carried on not realising I was missing until they got to the park in Ecclesfield. It was traditional then to go to somebodys house or pub and have your tea mashed in a jug and we would pay a penny or something.

I went to Cleethorpes a couple of years ago and couldn't believe I was in the same country with yobos throwing their chip cartons and peeing on the grass in full view of everybody,what a sorry country Britain is today.

When will the teachers cane be brought back and National service to impose,yes impose some discipline into these nutcases.

Never lived on Parson Cross but spent plenty on good times there with my good friend Cybil Guy..would anyone know her ? going back 40 years now!

I went to Cleethorpes a couple of years ago and couldn't believe I was in the same country with yobos throwing their chip cartons and peeing on the grass in full view of everybody,what a sorry country Britain is today.

QUOTE]

I blame the parents..

I had forgotten alot of those :hihi: shops but remember them well now ive seen the names.i used to go to the chippi at lunch times from colley and can remember the lads getting half a uncut loaf and taking middle out and filling it with chips can anyone else remember that?:

Next was Smiths Hardware, that is now the betting shop.

Leeches is now some sort of Citizens Advice Centre.

Remember all that!!

Went past Colley the other day, the "long corridor" was gutted by the fire, nearly brought tears to my eyes, tears of joy that is I hated that place, after leaving monteney juniors it was like been transfered to another planet. Mr Stuart made my life hell!!

But seeing him a few years back made me realise what a sad twisted man he was, & finding out he never progressed up the manegment ladder in the education system put a smile on my face, especially when he saw the house , car & 2 great kids. Had to stick the boot in & remind him that if this was what a life that would "come to nothing" was, well I aint done too bad thanks!!!!!!!!!!

well good on you for saying that to mr stuart he was a horrid man to some people.bet i know you and bet you got as many wrinkles as me now.

This reminded me of our one big outing in the summer holidays .

Mom would pack us 4 kids and a couple of the neighbours kids, along with a pile of potted meat sandwiches, we would go to Ecclesfield Park and paddle in the pool.

We to used to get a pot of tea made at one of the houses. You paid a deposit for the teapot and the tea was about 1 pence if you wanted extra water you paid accordingly.

When mom was really flush we would go up Riverlin

I started school aged 5 at Southey Green and my mother would walk us across the fields to Ecclesfield just before the estate was built but part of it was built in 1934-5. There was a stream we had to cross and I daudled messing about with the frog spawn and the rest of the family just carried on not realising I was missing until they got to the park in Ecclesfield. It was traditional then to go to somebodys house or pub and have your tea mashed in a jug and we would pay a penny or something.

When will the teachers cane be brought back and National service to impose,yes impose some discipline into these nutcases.