Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

sandy

Originally posted by Unregistered

Parson Cross needs a new tourist attraction.

Here are a few suggestions:

A “Hendersons Relish” museum, which could be built on the corner of Wordwsorth/Buchanan/Deerlands, where real people used to live

Daily tours around Albert Quixall’s birthplace. (Souvenier mugs on sale in the kitchen)

Mick Smith’s collection of half-built ice cream vans and his very rare “Wigfalls Winnebago” – a state of the art furniture van-come-caravan

Jinx’s famous Popeye tattoos. Applied by an alarm clock with a needle strapped to the clapper, and a bottle of Indian Ink.

Pete Howe’s cat. One green eye, one blue

Margetson Chip Shop. With it’s selection of 1960’s frying equipment, and what has to be the world’s oldest chipper. Chips up to seven potatoes an hour

Butchill Avenue – The street that time forgot.

And of course…

The ghost of Eddie Bedstead, who haunts the Parson Cross Hotel with his eerie cries of “Gizza Fag!”

Originally posted by Bushbaby

Here are a few suggestions:

Margetson Chip Shop. With it’s selection of 1960’s frying equipment, and what has to be the world’s oldest chipper. Chips up to seven potatoes an hour

Still open and functioning (same frier oil) - a sort of Kelham Island for the Chav generation ;)

Originally posted by Internetowl

Still open and functioning (same frier oil) - a sort of Kelham Island for the Chav generation ;)

For many years it was run by the Sheldons.

A tanner for chips, a tanner for a fishcake and a bob for a fish. Washed down with Tizer, Jusoda or Dandylion and Burdock.

Years later I had a row with a chef when I told him that his fishcake was a rissole. Apparantly Shefield fishcakes are quite unique.

We moved onto Parson Cross when I was five years old in 1947. They were building the houses on Wordworth Avenue when we moved onto Milnrow Road. We kids used to play in the half-erected houses and also in the drain manholes which were nice and clean and not yet in use.

We could walk the plank into the houses and from one house to another. We spent hours doing this and nobody bothered us.

Parents wouldn't let there children do this nowadays (and I don't blame them).

We found the stream between Deerlands Avenue and Holgate and we were in our elements. Wellies on and wading through the water looking for tadpoles and frogs, and climbing trees.

We used to take our toy boats down there and have a whale of a time.

The first schools I went to were Mansel Infants and then Mansel Juniors. Then I moved on to Ecclesfield County Secondary School.

Me and my friends used to meet up in Ecclesfield Park and at Chapeltown illuminations. There also used to be a fair at the side of Ecclesfield school which we visited.

There was the youth club at the end of Remington Road and a fair also used to visit that area (that was probably before they built the youth club).

We lived on Milnrow Road until I was 15 and then we moved onto Colley Crescent. Our garden backed onto the Jewish cemetery. I left Parson Cross when I got married in 1965 and moved to the other side of town, but the happy memories will remain with me.

My mother lived on Milnrow Rd from about 1984 to 2003, she lived at number 85. I did'nt see her there much as I had married and moved to Rotherham. My youngest brothers and sister went to Colley school. Sean my next to youngest brother used to work at the Colley club. I used to live on Adkins Road in the late seventies at my grandma's. I was born at no 1 Teynam Drive off Longley Avenue is that classed as Parson Cross :confused:

Originally posted by Alanbro

We found the stream between Deerlands Avenue and Holgate and we were in our elements. Wellies on and wading through the water looking for tadpoles and frogs, and climbing trees.

We used to take our toy boats down there and have a whale of a time.

There was the youth club at the end of Remington Road and a fair also used to visit that area (that was probably before they built the youth club).

That stream went under Holgate Avenue in a three foot diameter concrete pipe. I remember it getting blocked up during a rainstorm and flooding out the four houses nearby, causing slow motion panic for the occupants as the water level crept up the steps to their front doors. That experience as a kid has stayed with me and I still have a phobia about low lying houses and flooding.

That Youth Club was probably the Tanner Hop. It lost out to a Youth Club built within Colley School in the mid sixties.

We moved on the parson cross abought 1949. i had to go to grenoside school.i hated it.we kids from the cross.were treat like kids with the plague by the kids from the village and the teachers were no better snobby sods.[i used to take my best clothes] hidden in a bag[ everyone had a set of best clothes then ] and changeinto them when i got to school.the good hidings i used to get if my mum was early from work.I feel miserable every time i go there. i can remember the shops being built on margetson.we used to play on the scaffolding from the workmen leaving to go home.we never did any damage no one ever complained. mr kaddish had the grocers hulleys butchersdeakins fruit/fish now the post office.one side of co-op was the butchers other side was drapery.shaws newsagent still one.mr lomas chemist what a lovely man, smiths hardware now bookies,withbaileys fruit shop now advice centre.i used to go to school with susan bailey.i always wanted a piano my mum&dad said if i passed my scholarship i could have they knew id fail and i did.what happened to all the kids that did pass.you never saw them once when they went to grammer school

Originally posted by Unregistered

That stream went under Holgate Avenue in a three foot diameter concrete pipe.

We had that river too! (okay, it's just a stream, but it was a river to us). It went under Wordsworth just above the filling station, and then continued underground for quite some time. We'd crawl up the tunnel with a ridiculous idea that we could get to Foxhill (I now see how stupid this was) but then my friend Pete used to get "scary visions" so we would all come scarpering back down at a rate of knots, sighing with relief when we got to the end.

It was the source of a few local Ghost Stories but I can't remember any of 'em

I believe it has a name. "Tun Gutter" or "Tun Guthrie" - something like that??