Who do you complain to about school dinners?

So if you went to a restaurant and didn't get what you ordered, you would still pay for it?

Ok maybe it was an extreme analogy, but schools telling kids parents what they cannot eat at the school? you must be an idiot if you think this is right.

I am a grown adult not a child... I am sure the children were informed that their first choice wasn't available (am sure schools used to inform you if your first choice wasn't available).

So if you went to a restaurant and didn't get what you ordered, you would still pay for it?

Ok maybe it was an extreme analogy, but schools telling kids parents what they cannot eat at the school? you must be an idiot if you think this is right.

i think its completely right.

if parents are dumb enough to fill a kids box with sugar and additives then the school have every right to refuse to let the kid eat that crap.

the school has an obligation to act in the childs best interest. letting that child eat rubbish is not in the kids best interest at all

My son doesn't have school dinners anymore as they were running out of the menu items and offerin a jacket spud or sandwhiches instead - at least if I pack his lunc I know what he's getting.

Hopefully, he is getting a better education than you did.

Schools try to ensure all children get 3 square meals or at least one decent hot meal. Most people go home and get fed junk day in day out. At least at school they are being fed healthy foods.

Since when? My boy eats crap at school.

The school is only there to educate, not to be the parent. It's complete idiocy.

a school has a child for more hours daily than the parents do. (assuming the child is going to be at the right time)

the school acts in loco parentis and is not there to simply educate

Phse is now part of the curriculum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal,_Social_and_Health_Education and that covers health. Schools do a difficult job repairing the damage irresponsible parents do, Parents who's idea of a book is the argos catalogue, parents who fill their kids with McDonalds, parents who think their task at home is to keep the kids out of their sight while they get on with their own loves.

if it where purely down to schools there would be no obese children, no illiterate children, no children who's primary role models are their 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation unemployed or criminal families etc.

so to recap. schools do a lot more that simple educate.

Bethsmummy and cll23. Unfortunately, meals for your childrens' school are cooked at the local junior school and transported over. They are then kept warm until lunchtime. This isn't an ideal situation, but the dining room was demolished several years ago and there is no funding/space to replace it.

Sharon, the cook at the junior school cooks everything from scratch (to a very rigid menu/recipes) and does an excellent job. She can often gauge what is unpopular with the little ones and will send over more of the popular meals. I know she also sends a few extra meals over.

Why does she need to gauge anything, the OP states that the school ask in advance which meal the child should be given. They have the exact number, there's no need to be estimating and sending the wrong amount over.

Why does she need to gauge anything, the OP states that the school ask in advance which meal the child should be given. They have the exact number, there's no need to be estimating and sending the wrong amount over.

It doesn't take Columbo to work out what has happened here. Lots of kids ordered ravioli, got to the dinner queue, looked at it and then decided to say that they ordered the chicken instead.

Still not worth getting your knickers in a twist over though.

I've asked both my kids what the procedure is and they told me that they just hand their dinner money in and don't say what they want. They choose at lunchtime. It may not be worth getting your knickers in a twist Go4it, but it's horrible to think that your child hasn't eaten all day. Mums' instincts to make sure their kids aren't hungry I suppose.