Does anyone use the SYPTE Park & Ride sites ?

Do you use the Park & Rides In Sheffield  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the Park & Rides In Sheffield

• Yes
    • No

We live near a tram stop so have never needed to use a park n ride.

However I am rather shocked that the PTE never thought of putting one near Gleadless Townend near the ring road

And where exactly do you think they could put one in that location?

They've been looking for a suitable park and ride site on that side of town for a long time. For it to happen, you need a site that is suitable for the purpose (ie you can get planning consent), a landowner who wants to sell and a large budget. They haven't been able to find a site and now with all the cuts, the budget could be a problem.

There's a cheaper option to the Halfway Park and Ride site, park in Morrisons and get on a X52 and pay £3 for a DaySaver or £10 for the week!

There's a cheaper option to the Halfway Park and Ride site, park in Morrisons and get on a X52 and pay £3 for a DaySaver or £10 for the week!

Ah this will be why at busy times there is little parking available :suspect:

I've never used Park n Ride and I am rather baffled by it.

Do I have to pay to run my car, pay for parking in the Park n Ride and them pay again on the bus/tram. Surely this is a rather expensive way to travel.

You won't use the SYPTE site at Abbeydale because SYPTE have boarded it up!

I just skip the park bit and ride my bike into town. Skip the traffic and it costs next to nothing! :D

I've never used Park n Ride and I am rather baffled by it.

Do I have to pay to run my car, pay for parking in the Park n Ride and them pay again on the bus/tram. Surely this is a rather expensive way to travel.

Some of the park and ride sites are free. It tends to be the tram based ones where you have to pay (except Centertianment)

If you are paying to park in the city centre, using P&R might work out cheaper.

I used to use that one when I worked in the city centre.

The capacity wasn't actually reduced, it was always that size. People just used to use the Centertainment parking area as overspill park and ride until the management decided they'd had enough of it.

Me too. I tried the Meadowhall one, but it got busy really early, so used to drive to the one at Centertainment or Carbrook. There were no restrictions then.

But I moved from Rotherham, and now live near the tram route so the P&R isn't necessary. Lots of people from the north of Sheffield still use the one on Middlewood Road and tram into the centre to work.

Why is the park and ride at the city centre end of the Parkway?

All those people queueing up every morning to park their car a mile from their destination. Much better to have a big car park where the airport was, or thereabouts - lots of empty land around there - and run the tram down the middle of the Parkway.

I don't use it because a) my only hold up is at the park and ride end of the parkway anyway and b) the 'ride' bit doesn't go where I need to go.

Why is the park and ride at the city centre end of the Parkway?

All those people queueing up every morning to park their car a mile from their destination. Much better to have a big car park where the airport was, or thereabouts - lots of empty land around there - and run the tram down the middle of the Parkway.

I don't use it because a) my only hold up is at the park and ride end of the parkway anyway and b) the 'ride' bit doesn't go where I need to go.

Because conveniently, that's where the tram tracks meet the parkway. The tram doens't go to the old airport, so you aren't going to get a tram based park and ride are you (unless you have a massive budget to extend the tram system)?

Because conveniently, that's where the tram tracks meet the parkway. The tram doens't go to the old airport, so you aren't going to get a tram based park and ride are you (unless you have a massive budget to extend the tram system)?

Except it's not convenient for all the people who get stuck their every morning. If Doncaster can find £100,000 per user of its P&R scheme, I'm sure the tram could have been extended to the end of the Parkway had the will been there.

Except it's not convenient for all the people who get stuck their every morning. If Doncaster can find £100,000 per user of its P&R scheme, I'm sure the tram could have been extended to the end of the Parkway had the will been there.

Doncaster doesn't pay for park and ride schemes, that's the PTE. You don't design a park and ride to be full the minute it opens, t's sensible to have capacity for growth.

If you had the faintest idea how much a tram extension would cost, you wouldn't be suggesting that. Costs are immense and the government would not give you the money to do it in the current economic climate. SYPTE are having enough problems getting money for four desperately needed new trams out of the government, never mind 10's of millions for a track extension.