Notice to leave Home, is a reason required?

The joys of renting im afraid.

Its called a no grounds notice. Over here in Oz if its served before the end of a lease its 30 days and if its served after the end its 90 days.

I issue these daily unfortunately. Approach the agents and ask if they have any other suitable properties. If you have a good record, I would like to think they would help you out, I know we do!

Whichever of the advice you believe on this thread, remember a landlord has to get a court order to force you to leave. the sensible thing would be to try and negotiate something sensible.

a notice to vacate is just that, a legal document to gain possession of the property. After this (in Oz at least) an agent then applies for a lock out if a tenant refuses to vacate.

Hi Stimpy,

I am fortunate in that respect, the agent is being very good, possible viewings next week.

I suppose its just a fact of life that i have to adjust to, i loved the little pad, really settled there.

And it was second floor flat, so in the colder weather i got the benefit of the heating from people below. lol

This is just a sad indictment of private rentals........no real security.

I understand fully just why council housing is at a premium but I am also old enough to remember the days when it wasn't.

When I was younger a council tenancy was for as long as you wished it. It was SECURE unless you didn't pay your rent etc. People could move into a property safe in the knowledge that it would be their home for life if they wished it to be.

Council housing in those days wasn't given as a short term measure until you could afford to move into private rental, or buy your own.......it was your home for life.

I understand that times have changed and because of the "right to buy" scheme a lot of the housing has been sold off. Others have been demolished and not replaced etc but the list of people wanting a council property continues to grow out of proportion.

I just find it a crying shame that so many people don't/won't have the luxury (?) of being able to settle down in one place and call it HOME.

Not everybody can afford to buy their own home and indeed not everybody wants to take on that risk. The only alternative is to hope and pray for a council property or to rent privately and pay a fortune while all the time knowing that you might have to move on every 6 months or so.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I firmly believe that security of tenure is vital to the well being of a person. Just knowing that you have somewhere to call your own ........ even if it is rented..... counts for an awful lot.

I'm the sort of person that takes a long time to put roots down but once down I hate the thought of having to move. I simply couldn't cope with the possability of having to uproot every 6 months or so!

To the OP.........I did read somewhere that if a landlord requires his property back in order to house one of his own family then that will count above your rights as a tenant.

I really do hope that you manage to find a new place and are just as happy there.

Hi Stimpy,

I am fortunate in that respect, the agent is being very good, possible viewings next week.

I suppose its just a fact of life that i have to adjust to, i loved the little pad, really settled there.

And it was second floor flat, so in the colder weather i got the benefit of the heating from people below. lol

It is unfortunate but the first thing that will change when a landlord needs to is their investment properties.

what kind of property are you looking for and does it have to be in sheffield?

Hi,

On 5th may i recieved a letter from my landlords agent stating that the landlord need to regain possestion of the property and giving me 2 months notice to vacate the premises.

I spoke directly to the landlord and asked why, as my rent is up to date and have had no complaints against me as a tennant snd he stated that a relative was in a tangle and needed somewhere to live.

Whilst the agent is currently helping to find me another suitable property to live in, can the landlord regain possestion for any reason he likes.

also my notice was served 7 days before my 6 month shorthold agreement ran out.

thanks.

So you got the notice on the 5th and it's now two weeks later - you ONLY have 6 weeks now to find somewhere else.......have you looked on the lettings on this forum....I know a few people who have found something suitable from here. There is usually plenty of choice.

I hope you find somewhere soon :)

Hi,

On 5th may i recieved a letter from my landlords agent stating that the landlord need to regain possestion of the property and giving me 2 months notice to vacate the premises.

I spoke directly to the landlord and asked why, as my rent is up to date and have had no complaints against me as a tennant snd he stated that a relative was in a tangle and needed somewhere to live.

Whilst the agent is currently helping to find me another suitable property to live in, can the landlord regain possestion for any reason he likes.

thanks.

Hi

With regards to the section 21 is it dated to end the day before your rent due date i.e.

If you moved into the property on the 12th January 2011 and they have served you notice 7 days before your end of your fixed term does the date to vacate on the notice say 11th July 2011 ??

From the knowledge i have i believed it to be that it had to run from your rent due date.

2 months' notice is what is required by law. Your landlord is the proprietor, so he/she may regains possession when needed. Now that you have signed for housing benefit, you have a good chance of finding better accommodation soon.

My old landlord wanted to evict me, as he had heard from a neighbour (a nosy one, who was enquiring about the flat) that I wanted to move out.

He told me that if I was leaving, he wanted me to go immediately, as he had a queue of people waiting :hihi:

He does have quite a list to be fair, since he charges £50 a week for a massive 2 bedroom flat.

I wasn't actually planning on going anywhere, I had looked into buying, but wasn't getting very far.

I rang CAB and they said that he had to give me 2 months notice as a legal requirement, but, as far as his reasoning went, he is able to evict me for any reason he chooses, as it is his house, and if he wants me to vacate it, then I must vacate it.

a notice to vacate is just that, a legal document to gain possession of the property. After this (in Oz at least) an agent then applies for a lock out if a tenant refuses to vacate.

The important thing is that the landlord or agent can't just force someone to leave their home, even if a notice has expired. it has to be ordered (and enforced) by a county court.

Hi,

thanks.

Did you pay a bond to the landlord? If so and your landlord did not protect it in a tenancy deposit scheme, the Section 21 notice would be invalid anyway. Your landlord would need to protect your bond, THEN serve you with a new section 21 notice giving you another two months notice...

After the expiry of the notice, your landlord can then apply for a possession order from the court. For the time it takes to get a possession order to getting an eviction warrant (as you can stay in the property until the warrant for possession has been executed), you may be looking at a further 2 months in the property.

Hope this helps!