Sheffield city centre security

There is alot of confusion around the role of "City Centre Security".

The security company that were employed by the council provided security guards for the Public Realm sites such as the Peace Gardens,Barkers Pool and Sheaf Sq.

Their role was primarily to protect the infrastructure of these sites and to provide a uniformed presence to help create a safe area for people to enjoy.

They were not a roaming City Centre Security service and did not work outside these areas.They did on many occasions get invovled in assisting the police with incidents and have helped many people who were in trouble,however that was never their primary function.

True,i used to do the peace gardens about 8 years ago, for 3 yrs and you cant help not get involved.

I never understood the need for ambassadors.

Was the city really so dangerous that it needed them? (No)

Was the city full of people who didn't know where they were going and needed guides to direct them? (Again, no, that's what Tourist Information is for)

Have any other cities got them?

I dont rate the daytime Ambassadors, when you see five of them stood together on Surrey Street eating hamburgers at 9 oclock in the morning they are clearly underworked and overpaid.

My opinion, as a person who lives and works in the City centre is that they could easily be got rid of and the nightime people who, despite what people who have never seen them think, did a first class job.

I never understood the need for ambassadors.

Was the city really so dangerous that it needed them? (No)

Was the city full of people who didn't know where they were going and needed guides to direct them? (Again, no, that's what Tourist Information is for)

Have any other cities got them?

The fact that I finish work late, Uusually after 11pm, I walk across the city centre to get home, I can see with my own eyes that the situation is slowly deteriorating.

Regarding the crime rate, I have no statistics, but common sense tells me I am not as safe as I was. I have never in the last five years seen a patrolling Police Officer, I could speak to the security guys, they were always polite and helpful, the Police are invisible.

Has the crime rate risen since they have been disbanded, and what sources can you supply to back that up?

The Return Of Security In Sheffield Town Centre, what are your views on us returning!!!! please reply

Depends what your going to do really?

I assume you'll have zero legal powers?

But......if your prepared to break up fights, stop robberies, catch shoplifters, possibly prevent crime then all for it. Policing on the cheap though isn't it?