The IKEA in Sheffield thread

Does Sheffield need and IKEA?

Maybe an IKEA store could be incorporated into the redevelopment of the Sheffield Airport?

This city needs more business, industry and infrastructure improvements. Getting rid of the airport and replacing it with yet more retain outlets selling foreign goods would be a backward step. Getting rid of a transport link that helps put Sheffield on the map and putting a shop selling cheap and nasty pine furniture in its place is a rather poor idea.

Well everyone has their own views Ken, but I think the airport has done little to put Sheffield on the map. I believe that it has actually cost Sheffield vast amounts of money and has failed to bring business to the city. So maybe its a good thing that the airport site is being redevloped, hopefully the new development will encourage more businesses to invest in Sheffield!

There's a few views on Ikea generally in sheffield and roundabouts in these threads....

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=83124&highlight=Ikea

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14372&highlight=Ikea

Personally I think we need one nearer, but planning permission is always a problem!

I had heard rumours about one being built in doncaster, sensible really as it already has the distribution centre!

I believe that it has actually cost Sheffield vast amounts of money and has failed to bring business to the city. So maybe its a good thing that the airport site is being redevloped, hopefully the new development will encourage more businesses to invest in Sheffield!

It hasn't cost Sheffield anything so far. It brings in business because many people are employed there and/or have offices there. Many businessmen use it to visit people in the area using their private aircraft. Several such people have said that they would not be based in the area if the airport was to close. Ikea have a policy of employing as few staff as possible, with almost all on the tills with low paid jobs.

This city needs more business, industry and infrastructure improvements. Getting rid of the airport and replacing it with yet more retain outlets selling foreign goods would be a backward step. Getting rid of a transport link that helps put Sheffield on the map and putting a shop selling cheap and nasty pine furniture in its place is a rather poor idea.

I beg to disagree KenH, but Sheffield needs all the business and the accompanying jobs that it can get. Despite your opinion of Ikea products, they run a VERY successful operation, one which Sheffield would do well to become a part of. Ikea also employs a lot of people, and jobs are something Sheffield cant afford to turn away.

As for the airport I think the least said about that the better.

There are loads of derelict sites in the city. Why couldn't these be utilised and the airport left alone?

Sure, there aren't many aircraft that can use it (particularly low cost airlines), but these companies will be replacing their stock one day, possibly with planes that can.

Ikea also employs a lot of people, and jobs are something Sheffield cant afford to turn away..

No they don't. Their business model is based on having a warehouse style showroom where the customers do most of the work themselves and take things to the checkout. They have very few staff, if any on the shop floor. What an IKEA would bring to Sheffield is a few retail jobs which are mostly poorly paid and very often part time. No doubt the vast numbers of "executive apartments" (flats) being built all need to be fitted out as identical IKEA showroom clones, but the people who live in them could always try to be a bit more imaginative.